Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Hardware / Software ?

• Please log in to reply

Opt

Opt

• PipPip
  • 73 posts
:) While using same OS and HD's, do I need to uninstall anything when replacing Mobo?
I will be replacing MB CPU and Mem. I am not upgrading OS or Hard drives though,...so can I just swap parts and be cool?

***OPT***
:)

PSU VID All work with new config.

Advertisements

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Hi opt and welcome back.

What you want to do will create more problems that will take much time to resolve.
The new MB has drivers that are specific to it alone.
Your old drive and OS will contain the drivers for the old MB.
The best course of action is a clean install.

If you want to attempt it, then that is your choice.
What you will get is either the OS will not boot and you will have to do a recovery, or it may boot and you may still have to do a recovery because all the drivers are messed up.
Either way, there will be "garbage" left that can cause issues later.

I would backup everything of your data, favorites, documents, email, etc and perform a fresh install.
You will need the driver disk that comes with the MB to install the drivers.

123runner

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Also in most cases you will have to reactivate Windows. This will happen for sure if the system was preinstalled with the OS when you bought it.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
And to add another thought, what type of CD do you have for the OS?
Is it a recovery or a XP original?

Opt

Opt

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts
:) Thanks for the Welcoming, Ya been a while. Been out of the Computer stuff a while now. :)

So,...on with gameplan. How can I remove OS and wipe Drives in the most cleanest possible way? I will be upgrading XP, to 7 or whatever. The current Hard Drives will remain the same though in my build. They really do not have anything of importance on them as it stands now.

Currently they are running in raid 0. WD 36 :)

The old disk for XP is I believe orginal.

Opt

Opt

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts
:) Ok Nevermind all that :) ,....What I am gonna do is. Install new OS. What is the safest cleanest most recommended way to clear everything out of the computer. Once I do that I can then put everything together and install everything fresh. Oh and new HD as well mates!

:) Any ideas ole chappy's? :)

***OPT***

KevinMartin

KevinMartin

Spammer

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
First of all get the backup of your data without drive of c and then format that drives. After that insert the cd of any of the OS and format that C drive.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
If you are using a new MB and a new hard drive, then you need to install the new OS when it is all together.
The reason being is so the new OS works with the drivers for the new MB.

In real simple terms you boot from the CD with the OS disk in and follow the screens.