Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

data stream stall while on internet

• Please log in to reply

tech174

tech174

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
ok I'm spyware free ( THANKS METALLICA ). Now back to original problem, first a little info.
AMD athlon xp 1916 MHz
166 MHz bus speed (?)
asustek a7n8x-e motherboard with 1013 bios rev.
1024 MB Memory
nvidia nforce audio
radeon 9800 pro
us robotics 5686e modem run through a netmos pci serial port
dial up internet ( all that is available to me :tazz: )

While I'm surfing the received data light will go out , the send data and the clear to send light will start flashing, the arq ( flow control I think ) light stays off. I have had this problem since to pc was new ( built by a friend who is out of the state right now ) I do play online games... at least I did ;) ..... so of course when this happens my ping goes to 999 and stays there , sometimes until I reconnect. I have tried cablenut optimizer which did drop my pings , but the spikes are still there. I have had 4 different modems hooked up to this pc and they all behave the same. I do live very close to the phone companies local office. Close enough to get dsl but, there are no lines available. I have had the lines checked three times and they say there is no problem. I also have an old pc ( 450MHz ) which has windows 98se and the internet is much faster and more stable on that machine. So I guess my question is if there is a setting I've missed or something like that. Thanks

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
using dial up is such a pain. been there, done that, won't go back again. Is this line a dedicated line used just for computer dial up, free of features line "call waiting" or is it your regular, feature loaded home phone line? Call waiting can bump your modem connecton off line.

tech174

tech174

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
it is my home phone line but i have no extra services plus I have disconnected the house phones from the nid and ran a line just to the modem...... same thing. The problem started when I got this pc, that is why I thought it might be a setting in sp2 or maybe some hardware issues. I just thought I would start here. Thanks for the reply.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Your pushing modern day data communications over a serial port on an external modem? Holy smokes.

What's the model on that netmos pci serial port?

You've got a fairly complex problem here...first, your modem is top notch, don't get me wrong. Since it is a modem with a brain rather than a winmodem (softmode), it offloads a lot of the work of data communications from the CPU.

But, you are doing a lot of extra work as the data moves from the phone line to the modem, to the serial card, to the pci bus to the cpu. The extra steps are bound to add latency to gaming (but work just dandy on bulk data transfer like downloading)

My guess is that the pci serial card may be a choke point so I would start my search there. Not knowing that card, what are your options as far as data rate transfer (adjustable)? Drivers up to date?

tech174

tech174

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
ok..... card is now called linkdepot pciser1h.
The bps is set at 128000, modem is set at 115200 but I have tried it at 57600.
I have the latest available driver that I could find.
The reason I bought the card, I was told it was the best way to hook up the modem, something about the serial port on the motherboard was slower than the pci serial port....... I was mislead?

So is there a better way to hook it up? Can I get it to go through a router , like a cable modem, or did I just waste $85 ;)

Also, there is the problem with the clear to send light going out.... If i understand it correctly this light indicates if the pc is saying "ok , send me some data " so if the light goes off, data will stop. Now I have yet to see the flow control light come on so I don't think that is the problem. Is there a way to set priority higher for the modem ? Is that even a good idea ?

I have also had an internal modem installed ( it is uninstalled now ) with it the problem was not quit as bad , ping times would spike but they came down in a few seconds.

Again I realize dial-up sucks :tazz: but I was actually getting a pretty good ping before , I think because I do live so close to the phone companys' hub. Any help is greatly appreciated.

tech174

tech174

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
update......
now my xp sp2 pc will only connect half the time ( connection times out ) while my win 98 pc connects everytime. when I do get connected with the xp pc, the data rate will start off good ( about 5 KBs ) and slowly drop to around 1 KBs. There are still the stalls in the transfer of data , even at the 1 KBs speed. Since the connection has done this since the pc was new I don't think a fresh install will help me.

So how about a router that supports dial up ? Have seen some posts about them , so I asked an "expert" about getting one....... he said there was no such thing .....

Maybe I will post a question in the hardware section about the router .