Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Hard Drive Almost Full

• Please log in to reply

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,307 posts

The 3.5 inch drive is actually abt 4 inches wide. It is the same width as the CD drives.

Sorry I am not awake yet this morning. The drive is 4 inches. It is smaller in width than the CD drive.

Advertisements

Mary Poppins

Mary Poppins

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
So, it takes a slot the same size as the CD-ROm drive slot to install another hard drive? What are low profile hard drives?

Mary Poppins

Mary Poppins

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
If I can't fit a new hard drive in, do you suggest an external hard drive that matches my Seagate hard drive?

Edited by Mary Poppins, 07 December 2009 - 07:08 AM.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,307 posts
I confused you.
I'm sorry.
The hard drive is 4 inches in width. It will fit in.
The CD drives are wider. They are about 5 3/4 inches wide.

You should have 2 sizes of bays in the computer.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Maybe this will help 123Runner

Mary Poppins

Mary Poppins

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
Okay...let me make sure I have this straight. I insert the new hard drive into the 4" (3.5" slot. Hook the middle pin section to it and the 4 pin power connector. I DO NOT worry about the fact that the original hard drive is connected directly to the mother board with it's own cable. And, that's it?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Yes in a nutshell. There is the jumper on the back of the drive which will have to be set based on what the dvd drive is set at. Maybe this will show you better what I am describing. The cdrom will also have this on the back of it.

Mary Poppins

Mary Poppins

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
Thanks! How do I determine what my CD-ROM is set at? I assume we are talking about Master & Slave?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Do you know what make your drive is?
We could then find the correct jumper settings for you.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,307 posts
Most CD drives only have 3 choices to set them at.

As you are looking at the rear of the CD drive, the 1st connector on the right is for power.
Going left the next connector is the data/ ribbon cable.
The next one is the jumper block. There are 6 pins
Top to bottom in a vertical line the 1st two on the right are master. You put a jumper there for master.
The middle 2 in a vertical are for slave mode. If you want slave you put the jumper here.
The last 2 on the left in a vertical position are for cable select.

If you look close you will see a little jumper on the far left 2 pins. That is cable select

Found a picture
[attachment=36656:CD_drive_rear_view.jpg]

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I think whatever the cdrom is set for then set the hard drive for the appropriate . If cdrom is master then set the hard drive for slave or vice versa. This means you would only have to worry about one jumper.
I'm sure since the cdrom drive is at the end of the IDE ribbon and by itself it is probably set for master then.

Mary Poppins

Mary Poppins

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
My CD Drive is:

Device Description LG CD-RW CED-8080B

Not sure this is what you meant. Anyway, would it be a good idea to go ahead and replace my CD Drive with a CD/DVD Drive while adding a hard drive? Or, shouldn't both be done at the same time?

What do you think about this for my hard drive?

Western Digital Caviar Blue WD1600AAJB 160GB 7200 RPM IDE Ultra ATA100 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

Newegg has it for 43.99 & tiger-direct has it for 49.99

I had bad luck years ago with Western Digital drives...haven't had any problems with my Seagate. Which do you recommend?

Can you recommend a CD/DVD drive that would work in my compuer? It looks like it would be a job to get my old one out. There are no clips and I only see one screw on the bottom.

I found this - let me know what you think of it:

LG GH22NP20 DVDRW Drive - DVD+R 22X, DVD+RW 8X, DVD-RW 6X, DVD-RAM12X, CD-R 48X, CD-RW 32X, IDE (OEM)
I am going to order a hard drive as soon as I decide which one is best.

THANK YOU!!!!

Edited by Mary Poppins, 07 December 2009 - 06:17 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
What you are asking is for our suggestion but if you have had bad luck with WD then the Seagate would work just as good. As far as changing the cd for a dvd\cdrw then that is something you can do at the same time. I would recommend doing it at the same time just to save you from doing this all again later.

Mary Poppins

Mary Poppins

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
I am going to order the WD b/c I can't find a Seagate with more than 2MB Cache. Also, I will order the above LG cD/DVD Drive and then get back to you on exactly how to install.

What is a jumper....some sort of tab in the back?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Look at the picture 123Runner posted in post #40.
See the long double row of pins? Now just to the left of them you will see 3 sets of double pins and on the last set you will see a little black piece covering the top and bottom pins. That is a jumper. They can be any color... Black, Blue, White, Yellow, Green
If you look at my post #37 you will see the needle nose pliers holding on to a white jumper on the back of a hard drive.