Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

new hard drive for 2004 xp pc

• Please log in to reply

ToastyShackle

ToastyShackle

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi, I have an old pc that i think might still have hope. I set it up and i thought i'd get a new hard drive and a windows 7 upgrade. is this worth it, or should i just buy a new computer. i'd like to have it in my den for entertainment. Also, i wanted to know which one would be worth the price, im willing to pay for quality.

cheers

Edited by ToastyShackle, 04 December 2009 - 12:54 AM.

Advertisements

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
why pay anything, wouldn't installing linux mean that not only would you have a faster running machine in itself, you wouldn't have to worry about malware each time, anyway,firefox for the browswer, excel and work done by open office, and I repeat you don't pay a penny whereas, the price of officeworks, the vista licence, the windows 7 and the annual protection against malware after that, all means that you pay too much here

either way, if you have a new harddrive you will have to clone your present system to it too, plus then doing that windows 7 upgrade that is, or if you are doing a fresh install, you have to gather the drivers beforehand, or find them again from the Internet later, whereas with linux all one does is just boot up onto the live CD, it runs the system a little slowly from ram not touching to harddrive here, and if you like what you see, having all the drivers, etc., then and only then, do you install over the windows system, or go for "dual boot" where both systems share your harddrive

if you are running vista, you will be surprised by the speed of linux then

http://www.geekstogo...p;hl=mint linux

Edited by fleamailman, 04 December 2009 - 04:03 AM.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,526 posts
And to add...
Will the pc be Windows 7 compatible?

Windows 7 system requirements