Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP help pls...

• Please log in to reply

mad_matt

mad_matt

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi,

I have an XP which I decided to get the window service update a few days ago, and I have been struggling with it since then, and I hope folks here could point me in the right direction.

My XP version is a few years old,. The service update seems to require multiple passes to bring it up to service pack 2. I also have Norton AntiVirus 2005 loaded. As I was going through the painful, multi-pass process:

- The machine becomes slower (even after restart)
- At startup, the Data Execution Prevention complains about window needs to close the generic host service, then after a bit, an error message would come up indicating error with executing the generic host service. This happens repeatedly for a few times during the start up process.
- It took a long time to load IE.
- I can surf to most of the sites fine, but if I attempt to download from IE, say, from lavasoft.com or HijackThis, it just sits there and stalls. Eventually, I have to kill the process via task manager since it's no longer responding. Nor can I read my webmail, thus leave me to think it could be a popup blocker issue. I have both google and yahoo tool bars which provide popup blocking function, but they were not an issue before. I disabled the popup blocking in IE via the internet option. But that didn't help either.
- I turned Windows firewall off to no avail.
- I uninstall and re-install Norton AntiVirus 2005 to no avail.
- When I click on the address field in IE, it takes forever before it comes back with the list.
- The wierd part is that, the background window update as well as Norton's virus update seem to work fine. So, could this still be a firewall issue?

At this point, I wasn't sure what could be the culprit(s) here (firewall rule setting? spyware?). Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks!

- matt

Advertisements

mad_matt

mad_matt

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
An update:

The General Host Service Error shows:

Event Type: BEX P1:svchost.exe P2:5.1.2600.2180 P3: 41107ed6
P4: Unknown P5: 0.0.0.0 P6: 0.0.0.0 P7 00ab96bc P8: c0000005
P9: 00000008

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

- matt

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
did you run av and malware scans before updating to SP2? If not, it could be malware? Was the computer working ok (not SLOW) before SP2?

mad_matt

mad_matt

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks! I'll try to install adware and hijackthis this evening to scan the unit. I have removed the previous version of the adware (6.0) in anticipation of upgrading it to the latest person edition. But I got stuck since I couldn't download any programs.

The computer was a bit slow before, but has never act up like this before the sp upgrade.

- matt