Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

SOS: Recovery Disc / CHKDSK Not Working ... Please advise!

• Please log in to reply

ComputerMouse

ComputerMouse

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
Help,

Had one of the dreaded blue screen failures.

Have tried to take myself through the steps in the tutorial (succeeded in persuading my machine to boot from CD with recovery disc) only to find my system hanging on LICENCE AGREEMENT F8 = I AGREE: it allows me to type PAGE UP and PAGE DOWN, just not F8. When I press ESC it suggests that something is wrong with my windows installation and asks if there a floppy disc in the A drive. Could this be an A drive problem? I haven't used a floppy disc for about 10 years!

So I resorted to the recovery consule... pressed R. Got through to C:\WINDOWS> and selected 1. Opted for chkdsk /r - and it struggled slowly up to 74% completed, only to go back down to 50%. Still running now but I fear a loop...

Am rather at my wits' end!

All support gratefully appreciated. Thanks so much!

Edited by ComputerMouse, 04 December 2009 - 05:12 AM.

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Run hard drive diagnostics: http://www.tacktech....ay.cfm?ttid=287
Make sure, you select tool, which is appropriate for the brand of your hard drive.
Depending on the program, it'll create bootable floppy, or bootable CD.
If downloaded file is of .iso type, use ImgBurn: http://www.imgburn.com/ to burn .iso file to a CD (select "Write image file to disc" option), and make the CD bootable.

NOTE. If your hard drive is made by Toshiba, unfortunately, you're out of luck, because Toshiba doesn't provide any diagnostic tool.

ComputerMouse

ComputerMouse

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Thanks for your kind words of advice.

In the end, I was able to complete chkdsk /r and cured... thankfully.

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Cool :)