Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Low Disk Space on C

• Please log in to reply

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
The format and reinstall is up to you. You can move the files over if you would like to. If you format then yes everything would have to be reinstalled.

Advertisements

TotallyComputerIlliterate

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
thanks a lot for your help!
:)

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,526 posts
You mentioned earlier that the computer was slow. There should be no reason for that especially after a reformat and since you have 3gb of ram.
Either you have a lot of programs running in the background, or a virus scanner that is a usage hog, or its related to the E designation. I am not sure.
What I am afraid of is low disk space errors and if we try and get rid of the C designation, I think we will be in worse trouble.
The C drive is a system drive and is a Fat32 which means we can not merge it till we convert it.
Continuing on so we only have a E drive is a recipe for disaster.
1. The C would need to be converted.------->Conversion could go bottoms up.
2. We would have to merge the C to E.------>Being C is labeled as a system drive, I do not think we can do that (probably won't be allowed).
3. I expect we will wind up with a non booting OS and have to try and rewrite the boot.ini and mbr

The choice is as follows.
1. Move the stuff from C to E and leave C alone. Clean up E drive and fix the drivers. Possibly look at why it is slow.
2. Fix it correctly by a reformat and partition with C being the system drive and OS.

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Thanks to both of you for your time and the advice...!
I think I will do the reformat but I I will have to find somebody to come here and do that for me because I am sure I will mess it up again...
Thanks a lot

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,526 posts
That is the best choice.
Follow this tutorial

There is a lot of info in the guide. It deals with saving your data, favorites, etc. Most can be skipped over in your case.

Just read what the screens say as you go.
A couple of main things to point out is....
1. Re-format the entire drive to get rid of both partitions.
2. Format it as NTFS

Then you need to install the drivers for the board.
We generally do the network driver 1st to get internet and then do the rest. The network you would download to another computer and then move over to the one you reformatted.

We are here to assist you. Any questions you have.

123runner

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
It sounds to me like the C partition was something created by HP but if Totally is going to use a standard XP installation and not a Recovery Disk then it doesn't matter about the partitions at this point.
I would suggest since this seems to be the way this is going that you just blow the partitions away and create one partition on the drive as C. Format it with NTFS and then install your XP to that.
Then what we would have to do is to find all the drivers for you since most of the stuff will not be working correctly. You most likely will not be able to get internet access till we get the network driver for sure.
the order of install should be
Motherboard Chipset driver first and then what you want next which in your case would be the network driver.

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
I just wanna say that you guys are amazing and that I cant believe that you are doing this for free...
if there is any way I can contribute to this site I am in...
thanks for everything.
I will try do the reformat and I hope you will not hear from me again (unless it is for another thank you)

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
If you are happy with the service we have provided, please consider making a donation to GeeksToGo to support the Free Technical Support offered.
Go HERE to make a donation.

This will help with updates to the system and to help us help you. :) :) :) :)
BTW we will be here till you are back up and running again so don't think we are leaving you yet :)