Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Rear Vent (intake or exhaust)

• Please log in to reply

Treize

Treize

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
This should be the last question I have about my new build. The case that I purchased (came with bundle) has a rear vent and a side vent (directly over the cpu) with some kind of cup/tunnel thing connected to it. This case has a spot for a front vent (I can see where it's supposed to go)but the location is ridiculous to reach. So right now I have the rear fan mounted as intake is this good or bad?

My Case:
http://www.tigerdire...dy=#ReviewStart

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Not a good ideal. The rear fans in your case would be the exhaust fans to blow the hot air out. With your current setup you are bringing in air fine but the only fan exhausting is in your pSU which in most cases will not move enough hot air out of the system.
In the case of the front fan is it possible to remove the HD mounting cage to get to the front of the system?

Treize

Treize

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
I’m not sure if I can remove the hard drive cage. The HD Cage and 5.25’ bays seem to be 1 structure. I will be able to check better in about an hour or so. If I cant get to where the front fan should go, how show I set up the other two fans?

I will switch the rear fan to exhaust, but what about the side fan? Going from memory (I’m at work) it seems to be on at the same level as the rear vent. Should I leave the “cpu wind tunnel” (for lack of an accurate term) connected to the vent or install another fan?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
The side one is meant to keep the cpu and\or the video card cooler. I would not recommend the removing or turning it around.
Is it possible to get a picture of the inside of your case showing the HD cage as clear as you can get it?

Treize

Treize

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
OK, I figured it out. I had to unscrew both sides of the case and pop off the face plate which was pretty tight. However doesnt look like much air will get through this vent, can't find my camera but if you look at the link, the front fan is directly behind the power button... fun times

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
If you look at the bottom of the front panel you will see the air intake vents.

Treize

Treize

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
Yeah I know they are there, but the actually are just below the fan itself. I dont know if this is normal on new cases but on all the old cases I've worked on, vents and fans line up. It seems weird that air comes through under and then through the fan. I dunno.