Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

windows blue screen and error codes...

• Please log in to reply

robert1234

robert1234

• PipPip
  • 57 posts
Had a bit of malware problems, cpu was at least booting, left it for 1 week off, and got error message on start up...
Is reformat needed or...?

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
This error can be caused by hardware or software. It could be a driver problem .
How far does the system boot before the error occurs?
Is there any more technical information given along with the stop code? Normally the culprit is also identified in some way in the technical information. I see you had a malware topic opened with Essexboy butit has been closed since there has been no response since Nov 29th.
Did you recently upgrade any hardware or software in your system? Was there any updates to software or drivers?

robert1234

robert1234

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts

This error can be caused by hardware or software. It could be a driver problem .
How far does the system boot before the error occurs?
Is there any more technical information given along with the stop code? Normally the culprit is also identified in some way in the technical information. I see you had a malware topic opened with Essexboy butit has been closed since there has been no response since Nov 29th.
Did you recently upgrade any hardware or software in your system? Was there any updates to software or drivers?

Topic was closed with essex boy because I had to leave out of town for a few days.
If you can look at my last post the initial problem reccurred after restart.
Upon returning home,
System gave me welcome screen on first start up, now just the error screen.
I was having trouble with hp software or driver and planned to re install.
Technical info provided:
stop 0X0000007E (OXCOOOOOO5, OX82B49BCB, OXF89506A4, OXF895O3AO

Thanks...

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
if you have no data that you need to backup then a format and fresh install should take care of the issue. If you need to backup data then let me know and I will give you instructions on how to download and create a Linux Live cd that should allow you to get to your data and back it up.

robert1234

robert1234

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
I do need to save data...

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Get Puppy Linux...Get puppy-2.16-seamonkey-fulldrivers.iso download it and burn it to cd
if you don't have a burning program that will burn .ISO files get Burncdcc from my signature...it is a small FAST no frills iso burning program...

NOTE...do not put a blank cd in until burncdcc opens the tray for you
1. Start BurnCDCC
2. Browse to the ISO file you want to burn on cd/dvd ....in this case its memtest86.iso
3. Select the ISO file
4. click on Start

make sure in the bios the cd drive is the first boot device....

put the cd in the cd drive..boot your computer....puppy will boot and run totally in ram...if your hardware is is good working order you will know...
after you get it running and your at the desktop...you take the puppy linux cd out and then you can use the burner to copy all your data to cd/dvds
you can also use it to backup your data to a external usb harddrive..just have it hooked to the computer when you boot up with puppy...

==========================
quick guide for saving data...music..files on a system that will not boot using puppy Linux..

after you get to puppy desktop..
click on the drives icon...looks like a flash drive...top row..it will list all the drives connected to

your computer...

click on the red icon for the drive you want to mount...in this case its a flash drive ...puppy will

mount the drive..the drive icon turns green when its mounted...
minimize the drives mounter window..you will need it again in a few minutes..
drag the right edge of it sideways to shrink it to its narrowest size...about half the width of the screen...then drag the window to the right edge of the screen...

now click on the icon that looks like a filing cabinet (kind of yellow) on the main drive...it should
already be green..
you will see a list of all the folders on the main drive Usually your C: drive..shrink that window to
the narrowest you can..about half the width of the screen...drag that window to the left side of the screen...
at this point you should have 2 windows open on your desktop..the flash drive on the right side..
go back to the folders on the C: drive...click on the documents and settings folder...then your user
name or all users..find the folders that has your data..
drag and drop the folder with the data you want to make copies of to the flash drive window...

your options are to move ..copy ect...JUST COPY..if its to big you will have to open the folder and
drag and drop individual files until the flash drive is full...(I have a 120 GB external USB drive for
big data recovery jobs and a 4 GB flash drive for the smaller jobs)..after you get the files copied to
the flash drive...
Click on the drives mounter you minimized earlier
UNMOUNT THE FLASH DRIVE by clicking on the green icon..you will once in awhile get error messages when
unmouting the drive..ignore them..when the flash drive icon turns red again its safe to remove the
flash drive..trot on over (stroll if you want to look cool) to another computer and plug in the flash

drive and copy all the data files ( I drag and drop) to the other computer..
make sure the other computer can read them...

now delete the data on the flash drive...take it back to the misbehaving computer and plug it in

again..click on the drives icon again and repeat until you have all your data transferred to the working
system..

Thanks to happyrock

robert1234

robert1234

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
Can I download and burn the linux with my other machine(apple)?
How do I start the broken Machine?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Linux Live Cd's do not need the windows to run. Everything runs from the cd. You will need to make sure the BIOS is set to boot to the cdrom first. To do this follow the instructions below.

To change Boot Sequence in your BIOS
Reboot the system and at the first post screen (where it is counting up memory) start tapping the DEL button
This will enter you into the Bios\Cmos area.
Find the Advanced area and click Enter
Look for Boot Sequence or Boot Options and highlight that click Enter
Now highlight the first drive and follow the directions on the bottom of the screen on how to modify it and change it to CDrom.
Change the second drive to the C or Main Drive
Once that is done then click F10 to Save and Exit
You will prompted to enter Y to verify Save and Exit. Click Y and the system will now reboot with the new settings.

robert1234

robert1234

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
hello
system not booting from cd...

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Did you change the bios so the cdrom is the first boot device?

Advertisements

robert1234

robert1234

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
yes...
Burned the puppy from my apple machine and inserted in cd rom on the dell...
Change dBIOS to onboard cd/rom #1, main drive #2, doesnt seem to recognize the cd?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

Burned the puppy from my apple machine and inserted in cd rom on the dell

Did you burn the cd as a image\iso or as data?

robert1234

robert1234

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
I put the downloaded file on yhe cd and burned it...

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
nope it has to be burned as a ISO or Image disk. If you burn it any other way it will not boot. Check with the Mac and see if they have a image burning software as that is what you will need to do this right.

robert1234

robert1234

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
ok, linux booted...