Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows 7 update

• Please log in to reply

chamber

chamber

Face Burnin' Malware Fighter

• Visiting Consultant
  • 2,712 posts
Hello all,

I am considering updating my Vista partition to Windows 7 as my wife can get it for cheap as she is a student.

My current setup is

300gb hard drive

Main OS - Ubuntu on a 30GB partition, will be increasing this soon to 50GB.
second OS - Vista home premium on the rest.

What I want to know is, will I mess up my Ubuntu partition or can I select which partition Windows 7 will be installed to. You would think I would know this but I don't generally do anything with pre installed Microsoft operating systems except to wipe them.

Advertisements

Perplexus

Perplexus

Lord of the Geeks

• Malware Removal
  • 1,185 posts
http://howtocleanins...tall-windows-7/

:)

amw_drizz

amw_drizz

• PipPipPip
  • 329 posts
@op If you preform the upgrade all you would need to do is use your ubuntu install disk and boot back into your install, reinstall your boot manager and it will auto detect(well it should) your windows 7 install and your good to go again.

@Perplexus If he gets the student version he can't "clean" install Win7 as it is upgrade only and requires steps that may be classified as questionable at best to get it activated.

Edit for OP, some directions to reinstall the ubuntu boot loader after win7 is installed http://www.howtogeek...s-wipes-it-out/

Edited by amw_drizz, 10 December 2009 - 03:41 AM.

chamber

chamber

• Topic Starter
  • Visiting Consultant
  • 2,712 posts
Thanks guys,

so I should be able to select the Vista partition as the target?

amw_drizz

amw_drizz

• PipPipPip
  • 329 posts
If you do the upgrade it will auto select it. If you choose to preform a custom install just choose the vista partition. The installer will say Windows is already installed on that partition, click okay. Upon completion there will be a folder called Windows.Old in the root of the drive which will contain all your old documents, and files that was in the users folder along will all your installed programs in vista and the entire vista install. After you copy all of your data from the Windows.Old Directory can be safely removed.

Please remember that if you decide to do a custom install you will need to reinstall everything and you won't be able to use any programs found in the Windows.old/Program Files Directory.

HTH Jon

chamber

chamber

• Topic Starter
  • Visiting Consultant
  • 2,712 posts
Thanks a lot.

Everything is backed up on it and ready to go anyway. Don't use many programs in windows anyway except iTunes so we're all good.

Muchly thanks.