Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

XP login/logout loop problem

• Please log in to reply

Maverick_0069

Maverick_0069

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hello, I have used GtG for a long time and usually with the aid of your forums I can find a solution to my problems. This time however, I am stumped. I have my friends Dell Dimension 3000 with XP home edition here and I have been cleaning it up for him. He has Norton 360 for AV protection, but the backup feature was disabled. I downloaded and ran Malwarebytes onto his comp and restarted it. Then I got caught in the Login/Logout loop. I cannot boot using safemode at all as it sends me to the dreaded blue screen of death. I would be willing to do a windows repair, except he does not have the disks. I do have a windows XP pro disk so I have been able to get into the recovery console and attempt the init.exe trick, which isn't working. I am using my computer (vista) at the moment to research and such and it is set up right next to his. I considered trying the BartPE trick but I don't believe that would work as he does not have the disks to draw the xp home information from. Any advice would be extremely helpful.

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
We will have to create a small 'fix CD' to solve this problem.
Please download RC.ISO and save it somewhere you can find it.
Also download MagicISO and install it.

Start MagicISO. You should see a window informing you about the full version of MagicISO.
In the bottom right select Try It! and the program will open.
Click on File and then on Open and navigate to the RC.ISO file you downloaded. Select it, and click Open.

First, we'll need to add a clean version of userinit.exe to the current RC.ISO
  • In the upper right pane, double click on the i386 folder.
  • Right click in the upper right pane and select Add Files...
  • Navigate to C:\Windows\System32 and select userinit.exe
  • Then click Open to add userinit.exe to the CD image.
  • Click File and select Save As...
  • Name the file RCplus and save it somewhere you can find it.
Next, we'll need to burn the newly created image to a disk that we can use to fix the problem.
  • Put a blank CD-R disk in your CD burner and close the tray. If an AutoPlay window opens, close it.
  • Click on Tools and select Burn CD/DVD with ISO.... A window will appear.
  • Click on the little folder to the right of CD/DVD Image File then navigate to the newly created RCplus.iso Image file and click Open.
  • In the CD/DVD Writing Speed drop-down menu choose the 8X setting.
  • Under Format make sure that Mode 1 is selected.
  • And finally, click on the Burn it! button to burn RCplus.iso to disk.
Once the disk is burned, put it in the machine you want to fix and restart it.
Boot to the CD just as you would with a Windows XP disk.
At the Welcome to Setup screen, press R to enter the Recovery Console.
Choose the installation to be repaired by number (usually 1) and press Enter.
When you are asked for the Administrator password, enter the password or leave it blank (default) and press Enter.

At the C:\Windows> prompt, type the following commands pressing Enter after each one. Note: Watch the spaces.D:
cd i386
copy userinit.exe c:\windows\system32
exit
After putting in the third command, you should receive the message 1 file copied which will indicate that the operation succeeded.
Now take out the CD and reboot your computer to normal mode. Try to log in and it should let you back in.

Maverick_0069

Maverick_0069

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Hello Broni, Thanks for the reply and your time. I tried all of the above steps, followed them to a tee and still I get the same result I would get using the recovery console with the xp pro disk. Did the process twice just to be sure, still won't let me log in =\
One thing of note is that after the third step 'copy userinit.exe c:\windows\system32' I get a prompt asking me to confirm with the choices Yes/No/All. I tried yes and all twice to be sure. Any other ideas you can think of to get me past login? All your help is truely appreciated, thank you.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Try repair install: http://www.geekstogo...ws-XP-t138.html

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Have a look at this link. It is written in a super simple manner which allows you to skip about 90% of the text. The important part is that you have to create two CDs which use a number of processes to fix the problem you encountered. I made myself the disks and consider it worth trying.

Regarding Windows XP repair, this is something I do only when all other options are exhausted. Very often the repair fail and when it does you end up worse then when you started.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts

you end up worse then when you started

Hmmm...never happened to me...

Maverick_0069

Maverick_0069

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Operation successful. Logged into windows finally. That link was a good fix, my hats off to both of you. Thank you so very much for all your time, help and effort. It is truely appreciated. Now... On to cleaning that computer.

-Mav

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Thanks for letting us know.