Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

First time builder having issues! Nice system that won't turn

• Please log in to reply

jjwumaster

jjwumaster

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
OK everything was going smoothly today. Everything worked, I ID'd the issue, plugged everything in. Pop in the Windows installation disk, all good, it goes through the install. At the end (not sure I was kind of online telling everyone how much of a success it was) it rebooted the computer. Now the monitor does not detect any output from the GPU whatsoever.

I've tried without the hard drive plugged in and I don't even get a boot screen or bios. It seems like nothing is coming out of the GPU, period. This was after installing Windows 7 and the monitor and keyboard and mouse all working fine and dandy. System still boots and fans spin and even the dvd drive spins up but I get no output on my monitor.

As I said, the monitor was working FINE before installing Windows...any suggestions?? Your help has been awesome so far!!

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hhhhmmmm, sounds like Windows is the problem. Maybe you should try uninstalling Windows and see what happens? :)

I suggest you reset the CMOS by removing the motherboard battery for about a minute, then plug it back in, power cord back in, and start it up.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Do you hear windows load if you let it continue to go on even without seeing anything?
Have you tried a different monitor?

jjwumaster

jjwumaster

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
OK using an older LG flatron monitor, everything works...I'm working with a HP w2408h which doesn't seem to be picking up the signal. Maybe installing the latest firmware for the video card might do it?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I think you are looking at drivers instead of firmware. Just as a point of interest have you gone through the windows updates to see if there is a newer driver out there for the video card?

jjwumaster

jjwumaster

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
I used the LG monitor for a little bit to finish the Windows install and download updates and the latest ATI drivers, then switched over to the HP. Everything was fine, downloaded some more programs, did a few restarts, but then I "slept" the computer. After waking it up from sleep it stopped detecting the HP! And when I switched to the LG while the machine was on it wasn't giving me anything.

The only way to get the HP to display is if I turn off the computer, plug the LG monitor in, start it up, then switch the vga cable to the HP monitor. This is the strangest thing.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
i have found that most of the power saving features are useless and can cause issues like this.
I would say setup a screensaver and turn off all power management options. Let the system go to the screen saver and then see if it comes back with no problem.

jjwumaster

jjwumaster

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
The system comes baack from screen saver just fine. The problem arises every time I restart the computer. The monitor just does not detect the incoming video signal and I don't get any startup screens. It works on the LG monitor.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Is the LG a newer monitor?
Have you tried the HP on another system and try to duplicate the sleep problem? If it happens on another system then I would say the problem is the monitor itself.

jjwumaster

jjwumaster

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Well I finally got it to work without having to switch monitors all the time. Just used a HDMI cable. Before I was using a DVI-VGA converter, so maybe it was moving to all-digital that fixed it? No idea.

But everything is working perfectly now! All drivers installed, up to date security-wise...Thanks so much for your help!! I'll be sure to come back here once I have a better sense of what I'm talking about :). Thanks again!

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Congratulations. :) for a successful resolution for your issue.

You are very welcome. I'm glad we could help and please let us know how everything works out for you.
If there is anything else we can do to help please feel free to ask. I appreciate that you allowed me to assist you with your issue and for your patience.
Thank you for choosing GeeksToGo for help. :) :)
This issue now appears to be resolved.

If other members are reading this and have a similar problem please begin a New Topic and someone will assist you as soon as possible