Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

WinXP Pro won't log into account

• Please log in to reply

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I'm only slightly tech savvy, mostly from the web design achitect side. But I know enough to follow along.

My wifes computer got a nasty Malware while searching online on a free lyrics site. It replace her wallpaper and did a variety of things such as a fake spyware program and constant virus warnings not allowing her to use her system.

I've installed AVG, cleaned it and rid it of about 7 applications causing the problem. Lastly I did a repair and then a reinstall of windows over the original to get rid of the lingering effects.

Now I can't login after account name. It says windows has been activated then logs right back to the login name. It's caught in this loop. I followed some of the posts about over writing the file in the registry and still cannot get past this error.

The screen says at the Welcome screen. An error has prevented windows from accurately checking the status of the licence for this computer. Do you want to activate Windows now? I say Yes. It says it's already activated. Starts to log in then logs right back out.

Any suggestions?

BSOD Warrior/Computer Surgeon

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
Are other usernames able to login just fine?