Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

WMP 9 problem

• Please log in to reply

BDrums1971

BDrums1971

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I am going crazy, and have searched for hours on google to fix this problem. Okay, here is my problem.

Up until today, I have used WMP9 with no problem, and have burned cd's with no problem. Tried to burn a cd today, and came up with this error Windows Media Player cannot play, burn, rip, or sync the file because a required audio codec is not installed on your computer.

I have never had this problem, but went ahead and downloaded extra codecs, then when that didn't work, uninstalled, then reinstalled all codecs I could find. Same thing. Tried upgrading to WMP 11...same problem.

Tried rundll32.exe setupapi,InstallHinfSection InstallWMP7 132 c:\windows\inf\wmp.inf to restore/reinstall WMP from XP disc. Same problem!!

The crazy thing is, the files all play fine. Music, video, no problem. It just won't burn, like it used to. I want to know what caused this.

The only thing I can think of that has changed, is this last week, I downloaded Avast Free antispy software. It found a few "questionable" files, which it quarantined. Then, I read about all the false positives plaguing Avast, so I tried to restore the quarantined files, but not sure if it worked. Then uninstalled Avast, and have had this problem.

Please, help, I won't be able to sleep until I can figure this out. Sorry for the long description, but thought all information would be helpful.

BTW, don't bother recommending just using a new player/burner. I COULD do that, but I really want to know what caused this in the first place. It's driving me nuts! Thanks

Edited by BDrums1971, 04 December 2009 - 08:10 PM.

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Did you try system restore to some time before you installed Avast?

BDrums1971

BDrums1971

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Yep, tried that. Also, I remembered there was some windows updates around the same time that I installed, but can't see how that could have caused the problem?

I have scoured google, and couldn't find any info on this problem. Can I do a fresh reinstall of WMP and all it's software without having to install all of XP with it?

Thanks for the reply!

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
First, see, if CDBurnerXP will burn CDs: http://cdburnerxp.se/

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Have a look at this page > "Installing support for Microsoft IMA ADPCM Codec and Microsoft ADPCM Codec" > "If you have Windows XP". I hope this will help.

BDrums1971

BDrums1971

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks for your replies. Somehow, the problem is now fixed. Not sure what happened, but went thru and found some more codecs and deleted/uninstalled them and I was very surprised to find that the burner/converter now works.

It still bugs me that I don't know exactly what caused it, but I guess I should be happy it's working. Thanks for the help, you guys here at this forum really seem to care and help others with their problems.

Have a good day!

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Nice job :)