Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

HELP - Connecting to a NAS

• Please log in to reply

Noggy1

Noggy1

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
Hi

I have a HP Laptop which has a built wireless aerial and an ethernet port. The laptop runs Windows XP Professional Version 2002 with Service Pack 3.

However, I am having massive problems trying to get it to connect to my Western Digital White Light Network Storage Device. The NAS is connected to my Netgear ADSL2 Switch Router. Now, I know there is nothing wrong with the NAS and router, because my main Desktop PC can see the NAS and I can access it with a wired connection via the router. Further, I have pinged the router wirelessly from my laptop and I am getting a reply, and I have also pinged the NAS on what I believe is its IP Address, which is replying.

My trouble begins when I go to start/run and I type in the IP Address with \\IP Address and it says that the network path cannot be found. Further, when I click on My Network Connections, the NAS is not visible, and when select "set up a small home office network", this does not make the connection either.

So, it appears as though there is a network connection, but it is being blocked. However, I have switched off my firewall, and even the XP one, but this made no difference. I have even run the laptop in safe - no difference.

Does anyone know what is causing this and how I get round it?

I have tried getting help from Western Digital themselves, and they cannot help me! They say my laptop network connection is broken.

Can anyone please help me?

Advertisements