Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Dell won't boot up

• Please log in to reply

xlogo

xlogo

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hope somebody can help me on this.....

I'm having problems starting up my desktop machine - Dell Dimemsion 1100 running Windows XP.

When I boot up it goes through the POST test etc without any problems but when it goes to start Windows I just get a
blank screen, I've been trying different options all morning without much success.

When I try to start in Safe Mode it seems to hang when loading the drivers and the last line is on the VolSnap,sys - not sure if this is relevant.

I haven't changed anything and I've run on the onboard diags etc with no errors showing.

If my harddrive was full would the above be a symptom of that and how can I get to a c:\ to try delete anything ? or to even backup anything in case I have to go back
to factory settings.

Advertisements

xlogo

xlogo

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
anybody ?

:)

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Run hard drive diagnostics: http://www.tacktech....ay.cfm?ttid=287
Make sure, you select tool, which is appropriate for the brand of your hard drive.
Depending on the program, it'll create bootable floppy, or bootable CD.
If downloaded file is of .iso type, use ImgBurn: http://www.imgburn.com/ to burn .iso file to a CD (select "Write image file to disc" option), and make the CD bootable.

NOTE. If your hard drive is made by Toshiba, unfortunately, you're out of luck, because Toshiba doesn't provide any diagnostic tool.

Thanks to Broni for the instructions

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,307 posts

If my harddrive was full would the above be a symptom of that and how can I get to a c:\ to try delete anything ? or to even backup anything in case I have to go back
to factory settings.

It could create issues if the hard drive was to full. Usually you will get some type of warning like "low disk space".
Also we have ways to recover the data as long as the drive is not mechanically dead.