Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GS - code 46

• Please log in to reply

AC1905

AC1905

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Ok, as I've mentioned, I think my graphics card has messed up. It started while i was playing FIFA 08, the colours started going all wrong (such as the grass flashing blue every now and then etc.). Aftera while it froze and the code 46 error pitched up. So I restarted my pc and the boot info colour was wrong - the words were in uneven tones of grey with white splotches. Either of the following happens when i boot up now.

1) Any words that appear are messed up, they aren't exactly white blocks, but they look almost like white smears. My PC doesn't freeze, but clicking on the start button doesn't work, but the task manager works.

2) Most of the time any words are fine, and my pc boots up fine. After about 15 seconds of loading my profile, the mouse stops and my pc freezes. The mouse does seem to move a little every few minutes, but no one has enough pateince to do anything with that.

I've tried the following so far:

1) Disable hardware acceleration and script combining.
2) System Restore
3) Disable most of my start up items in safe mode
4) Cleaning my PC with compressed air - I cleaned my graphics card especially well.

I've got 15% free disk space, so I mangaged to do a disk cleanup and defrag, but neither helped.

Any feedback would be appreciated :)

Edited by AC1905, 05 December 2009 - 10:01 AM.

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
The next step is to replace the video card. Windows seems to be using too much of the processor to run normally. If you cannot find another 7600 card a newer card may work long enough for you to try uninstalling the 7600 drivers and then install newer drivers. It could also be the game causing the problem, so uninstalling the game is what i would do, to see if there is any effect on the computer.

Fifa 08 may have caused the video card to run in a resolution that the card cannot handle. It may need a newer video card to be able to run.

SRX660

AC1905

AC1905

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I'm sure it's not fifa that's causing the problem as my pc always freezes whenever I boot normally (it worked fine for a few months beforehand anyway). I'll try using another card after uninstalling fifa and see if that makes a difference.

EDIT: I can't uninstall fifa btw (I can't uninstall in safe mode)

Edited by AC1905, 05 December 2009 - 01:53 PM.

AC1905

AC1905

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
OK, I've switched the card and it works perfectly. Thanks for the help :)