Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CPU Question

• Please log in to reply

soonerboy

soonerboy

• Pip
  • 6 posts
I have a question concerning cpu's.

How much of a difference is there between an Intel P4 3ghz vs an AMD Dual Core processor?

I'm considering building a system to replace my dell deminsion 3000. I've had the dell since december of 2004 and it's been a great system over the years. When I bought it I didn't think I'd need another computer for years. Guess I was right. Honestly I probably don't need a newer system. I just repaced the 160gb hard drive with a 500gb and added another 1gb of ram. I'm pretty happy with it at the moment. It's running fast as ever. However I use photoshop cs3 and do a lot with video editing. If I can build something that will blow my P4 away then I'm more than willing to do so. Would any gains be worth the money spent building a new system?

Thanks in advance for any and all help it's greatly appreciated!

Advertisements

Bonzai82

Bonzai82

• PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
Hi! Yes new dual core or quad core cpu's would be alot faster compare to P4.For video editing and photoshop quad core would be a better option especially Intel cpu's.

soonerboy

soonerboy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Would this be better than the P4 3ghz I have now?

http://www.tigerdire...mp;sku=B69-3250

This motherboard would fit into my Dell Dimension 3000 case.

Bonzai82

Bonzai82

• PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
Yes it would be.How much money you want to spend?