Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New Build QUestion

• Please log in to reply

edub817

edub817

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
Hi, I was hoping someone could give me some insight into a problem I ran into with a system build I did.

When I first powered the system up, I wasn't getting anything. No POST, no beeps, nothing. The motherboard I used (specs will be below) had a feature called MemOK which, in the event of a RAM error, would illuminate a red LED on the board to let me know that there was an issue with the RAM in some fashion. I'm sure you guys know all about MemOK, but it was new to me.

Anyway, I tried all four RAM slots on the board and I didn't get the system to boot up until I put the 2GB RAM stick in the 4th slot and held the MemOK button while the system was off. That turned the system on and for whatever reason, I booted up fine.

It was my first system build so I'd like to know what exactly the problem could have been so if I encounter it again, I'll be ready for it.

Here's the specs:

ASUS P7P55D EVO LGA 1156 Intel P55 ATX Intel Motherboard

Intel Core i7-860 Lynnfield 2.8GHz 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1156 95W Quad-Core Processor

OCZ ModXStream Pro OCZ600MXSP 600W ATX12V V2.2

Kingston ValueRAM 2GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333

Seagate Barracuda ES.2 ST31000340NS 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb

Like I said, I got it to work fine but I was just hoping someone might know what the issue could have been. The system wouldn't boot at first, until I put the RAM stick in the 4th slot and held the MemOK button while the system was off, which turned the system on, ran it's RAM tests and then finally booted.

Anyone know anything about the MemOK feature and why the RAM was giving errors at first?

Thanks a lot!

-Eric

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
I've never heard of MemOK before.

Are you currently running with the stick in the 4th slot? Have you tried running it in any other slots since it started working?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Straight from Asus

MemOK! The World´s Only One-click Memory Rescue Tool

Memory compatibility issues are often the bane of system upgraders, and ASUS is the only motherboard manufacturer in the world that has devised an ingenious tool solely to tackle memory-related problems. Called MemOK!, ASUS´ exclusive innovation takes the guesswork and anxiety out of memory upgrading, restoring user confidence and peace of mind. In the event of a boot failure after installing new RAM, all the user has to do is press an easily accessible button on the motherboard and MemOK! will automatically load the failsafe settings needed to ensure a successful system boot. MemOK! is able to rapidly detect and resolve memory issues—even if bad or unstable memory is used!

edub817

edub817

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

I've never heard of MemOK before.

Are you currently running with the stick in the 4th slot? Have you tried running it in any other slots since it started working?

Yes, I just left it in the 4th slot and haven't moved it. However the guy I built the PC for wants to add another 2GB stick in the near future, so at that time I'll try to install both into the first two slots and see what happens.

Very strange issue, though. The RAM was compatible, so it's puzzling.