Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Browsers won't browse, laptop can ping

• Please log in to reply

76dave

76dave

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Over a week ago, I started getting the message "the connection was reset" when I open up FF and the equivalent message in IE8. I have had my friend, who is going to school for computer repair look at the computer, and he could not figure out what was wrong. I have talked to a professional who suggested that it sounded like a problem with my wireless card, suggested trying a wired connection, but still no luck. here is what I have done

-tried a wired ethernet connection
-setting up a static route
-netsh winsock reset
-netsh int ip reset
-winsockipfix utility
-disabling both windows and trend micro firewalls, livescan, keystroke encription
-connecting to someone else's wireless
-connecting a different laptop to my wireless (worked)
-ipconfig release and renew
-deleting network settings from the laptop and reconfiguring them
-windows diagnostic
-system reset to two weeks prior to when I started having the problem

None of this worked, except trying to get a different laptop to connect, which proved it is not my router that is the problem.

Edited by 76dave, 05 December 2009 - 12:33 PM.

Advertisements

76dave

76dave

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I just went into Msinfo32, components, network, protocol and found that i am missing six settings that Microsoft support site says I should have, they are:

MSAFD NetBIOS [\Device\NetBT_Tcpip...

The fix that it tells me to do is the windows diagnostic, and netsh winsock reset, which, I've already done to no avail.

76dave

76dave

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
problem resolved, trend micro was running trying to run proxy server that was blocking my internet access