Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Getting new laptop, need some help.......

• Please log in to reply

ajacobs86

ajacobs86

• Pip
  • 1 posts
hey whats up,
its my first post here,

I'm going to be making a laptop purchase but i need help figuring out that what I get will work how I want it to...

Basically I am looking to clone my desktop hard drive onto the new laptop's hard drive. My desktop is using XP sp2 so I need a laptop that will be able work with XP.

I've been looking around and I like these two laptops :

http://www.tigerdire...AIN#detailspecs

http://www.tigerdire...AIN#detailspecs

the thing is though, the HP website doesn't have any drivers for XP to support these two laptops....

I was hoping that someone could help me find the right drivers or if you could suggest another laptop thats about the same as these two. Im looking to do music production on the laptop so Im looking for something pretty powerful....

If someone can help me out, that would be dope...

thank you.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

Basically I am looking to clone my desktop hard drive onto the new laptop's hard drive. My desktop is using XP sp2 so I need a laptop that will be able work with XP.

Not going to work because the two systems will have different motherboards and different drivers needed to work correctly. Also you would have to reactivate windows because it is on a new system. This is against Microsoft EULA to have the same reg key on two systems at the same time.
Besides the laptops already come preloaded with Vista or Win 7 on them so why downgrade the systems?