Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Bad pool caller blue screen

• Please log in to reply

moscatomg1

moscatomg1

• PipPipPip
  • 173 posts
I left my computer on last night, and I woke up to find a Bad_pool_caller error blue screen. According to stuff I've browsed about this error, it can happen for any number of reasons, so I don't know where to start as far as scans and other basic info gathering that may be first required. A bit of good news is that upon start up everything seems normal so far. But I'd like to try to figure out the source of this error. If it helps, the following are a couple potentially problematic things recently done on the system:

1. the sys. was downloading torrents the night when the error appeared (I know, I know, this is highly recommended against . . . but all anti-virus, anti-tracking, script-blocking, etc. was up and working fine), and I don't think this looks like a virus or maleware thing
2. 3-4 days ago, I cleaned the inside of the tower, sucking out dust, but I was very careful about static electricity and not knocking anything about. . . . and things had been fine since then until this message

Anyway, the error info on the screen was as follows. Thank you for any help on this,

Error: Bad_pool_caller

Tech. Info: 0x000000c2 (0x00000007,0x00000CD4,0x000000D8,0x832C011C)

Beginning Dump of Physical Memory

Advertisements

Jonesey

Jonesey

• PipPipPip
  • 335 posts
Make sure you haven't dislodged anything when cleaning it - a bad pool caller is sometimes indicative of bad memory, failing memory, or even just plain old dislodged memory module.

moscatomg1

moscatomg1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts
Checked it. Everything looks secure inside the tower. But "bad memory" or "failing memory"--both sound horrible!

What would be the next step? some kind of sys. scan? or check hd for errors?

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Is the computer bootable, or is it stuck on that error message?

moscatomg1

moscatomg1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts
it is bootable. "upon start up everything seems normal so far. But I'd like to try to figure out the source of this error."

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Download BlueScreenView
No installation required.
Double click on BlueScreenView.exe file to run the program.
When scanning is done, go Edit>Select All.
Go File>Save Selected Items, and save the report as BSOD.txt.
Open BSOD.txt in Notepad, copy all content, and paste it into your next reply.

moscatomg1

moscatomg1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts
got it. it looks like the "cause" was hal.dll

funny thing, is that one place (http://pcsupport.abo...ssinghaldll.htm) says an error like this w/ this item happens shortly after sys. start up. BUT mine happened nowhere near startup but in the middle of things when the sys. crashed. Also, some of the other info that this tech. link offers makes me think about another related possibility: Several months ago I did make a major sys. change when I swapped in a new hd and made it the primary and only sys. hd. But everything has been going Smoothly once that was configured properly w/ loads of tech help. LASTLY, I just ran a diagnostics on the hd for bad sectors, and it checks out fine.

otherwise, I'm stumped about what to do now. . . or if it's worth doing anything if this may just be a fluke. what do you think?

Dump File : Mini120609-01.dmp
Crash Time : 12/6/2009 10:03:35 AM
Bug Check String : BAD_POOL_CALLER
Bug Check Code : 0x000000c2
Parameter 1 : 0x00000007
Parameter 2 : 0x00000cd4
Parameter 3 : 0x000000d8
Parameter 4 : 0x832c011c
Caused By Driver : hal.dll
Caused By Address : hal.dll+2900
File Description : Hardware Abstraction Layer DLL
Product Name : Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
Company : Microsoft Corporation
File Version : 5.1.2600.5512 (xpsp.080413-2111)
Processor : 32-bit
Computer Name :
Full Path : C:\WINDOWS\minidump\Mini120609-01.dmp

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts

According to stuff I've browsed about this error, it can happen for any number of reasons.

If the blue screen do not show again, leave it at that. There is no point in researching the source of an operating system error that showed once and could be caused by any number of reasons.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
I agree. It looks like the error happened just once, so I wouldn't worry about it.

moscatomg1

moscatomg1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts
cool. but i'll revisit this topic if it happens again any time soon and let you know. thanks for the help and advice.