Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PCMCIA Adapter / Laptop

• Please log in to reply

cyberdyne

cyberdyne

• PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
I have bought a Cardbus Adapter (2 x USB, 1 x IEEE 1394a) to use on an HP530 WinXP SP2 laptop.

I'm trying to install it but am having problems. It should simply load automatically with XP drivers.

The only requirements for the adapter are WinXP with SP1 minimum and of course, a Cardbus (PCMIA) slot.

When I insert the card, whether it be before boot or after everything has loaded, my system simply freezes - no mouse, no keyboard, nothing. I can only power off.

Any suggestions appreciated.
Thank you.

Edited by cyberdyne, 06 December 2009 - 11:56 AM.

Advertisements

mgabriel

mgabriel

• PipPip
  • 94 posts
Hello and welcome to geeks to go!

(You may want to print this out before you start this)

Restart your computer in Safe Mode (F8 during start-up, the first screen you see)

Go into Device Manager and verify that the driver was installed.

Right click My Computer, click Manager, then click Device Manager

Once inside Device Manager:

Double click Universal Serial Bus Controllers and the following options should be displayed, in addition to others that may come with your system.
  • USB Root Hub
  • USB Root Hub
  • USB Root Hub
  • VIA Rev 5 or later USB Universal Host Controller
  • VIA Rev 5 or later USB Universal Host Controller
  • VIA USB Enhanced Host Controller
Double click IEEE 1394 Bus host controllers option and a VIA OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 Host Controller should be displayed.

cyberdyne

cyberdyne

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
Thanks for your reply mgabriel, but no, the drivers did not install. As I said, as soon as the Cardbus Adapter is inserted into the PCMCIA slot, the whole system freezes, both when the system is running and/or when the Adapter is inserted prior to boot.

No drivers for the device are installed, no.
Thanks

mgabriel

mgabriel

• PipPip
  • 94 posts
go into safe mode with the card removed try to restore to a prior point before the card was installed and reinstall the card.

Edited by mgabriel, 06 December 2009 - 02:52 PM.

cyberdyne

cyberdyne

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
Thanks, but why do I need to restore? Nothing has changed. My system is still as it was prior to inserting the card. The drivers simply haven't installed and inserting the card results in freezing.