Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Local Area Connection incorrectly showing a network cable unplugged

• Please log in to reply

AHeckathorn

AHeckathorn

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I need help! Hadn't made any changes, the other day my modem and my computer stopped connecting. I was getting the error message of a network cable being unplugged, but this is not the case. I tried calling AT&T they say it's a driver issue, I tried updating my drivers but didn't get anywhere. I tried going back to a restore point, but that didn't solve the issue either.

I'm running windows xp, have DSL through AT&T, using a motorola 2210 modem. Not sure what other information to give that may be of use.

Attached Files

Edited by AHeckathorn, 06 December 2009 - 12:05 PM.

Advertisements

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,307 posts
Hi AHeckathorn and welcome to Geeks to Go

Those reports are only used in the malware forum.

Take a look in network connections and report what is shown under local area connection.
I assume you are using a modem. Have you tried to reset it by cycling the power?
Are you using a router? Have you cycled (off/on) the power?

The procedure is unplug router, unplug mode, replug modem till it finishes its self test, then replug in the router.

123runner

AHeckathorn

AHeckathorn

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks for the quick response. I am not using a router, however I have tried a couple times to completely disconnect the modem from the power source, phone line and ethernet connection, I've also hit the reset button on the back of the modem, but had no success. What specifically do you need to know under local area connection? It shows the type as a lan or high-speed internet, and the device name is Intel® PRO/100 VE Network Connection.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Please Go to
1: STARTand the click on RUN
2: Type in devmgmt.msc
3: Click Enter
4. Expand the entry with the Network in it and then take a screen shot of it

To do a screenshot please have click on your Print Screen on your keyboard. It is normally the key above your number pad between the F12 key and the Scroll Lock key
Now go to Start and then to All Programs
Scroll to Accessories and then click on Paint
In the Empty White Area click and hold the CTRL key and then click the V
Go to the File option at the top and click on Save as
Save as file type JPEG and save it to your Desktop

Attach it to your next reply

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,307 posts

What specifically do you need to know under local area connection? It shows the type as a lan or high-speed internet, and the device name is Intel® PRO/100 VE Network Connection.

I am looking to see if it shows connected.

AHeckathorn

AHeckathorn

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I actually got it up and running again. I was looking through some older posts that seemed to address the same problem. The advice was to change the speed and duplicity settings. Mine had been set at auto detect, changing it to 100mbps corrected the problem. So I was sure to set a restore point once it was back up and running. Thanks for your help, what was wrong with my computer that making that change would fix things?