Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Getting this Geforce 4 MX440/se AGP 128mb to work

• Please log in to reply

stupidhomer

stupidhomer

• PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
I found this "Geforce 4 MX400/se 128mb ddr AGP" graphics card in a drawer, I have a P4S533-e ASUS mobo and I plugged it into the AGP slot, I went into the bios and changed VGA mode to AGP instead of PCI, but it just won't work, it isn't detected by windows, and because of this, I had to reinstall my old Hercules 4000XT 64mb PCI, and from that I could see it wasn't detected by either the bios or XP, and if I plug my monitor into the Geforce, it'll just go black and not come on

Anybody know why?

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Most likely a faulty card or a faulty agp slot.
Only way to tell is to try a known working card.

stupidhomer

stupidhomer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
When I was looking in the BIOS, I saw it only said 1x 2x 3x and 4x, but after googling the card, it said the Geforce was an 8x, could that be the problem?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Possible but that would mean your card is to new then to work.
The price of new cards is so low now that you could get a better card for a lot less then that card cost. According to the specs on your Motherboard you have the following available slots for video cards

Expansion Slot(s)
1 ( 1 ) x AGP 4x
6 ( 6 ) x PCI

Now finding a card may be a bit more difficult considering the age of the motherboard. If you had a PCI card you could test the system with that. I'm taking it the Hercules card does work but is not what you want?
You can go HERE to see the specs on your motherboard.

stupidhomer

stupidhomer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
Yeah the hercules works, but they've dropped support for it, and It's extremely slow, sometimes when I close windows or even minimize them, they'll really slowly go down and lag my computer very bad

EDIT: Well I've just removed it now, I guess I'll just have to find another one

Edited by stupidhomer, 06 December 2009 - 04:32 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Take a gander HERE at TigerDirect at all the AGP cards they have. They start at 30.00 USD. I'm not sure if you have something like that in the UK but I'm sure there is. You might take a look and see what you can find locally.