Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP ISSUES

• Please log in to reply

tmdk421

tmdk421

• Pip
  • 4 posts
ok here us the situation i found myself in. i was on line, all was good, then my comp just restarted on its own, this has happened before. it goes though the scan disk like always and after it boots up i a see a window saying the system has just recovered from a serious error , would you like to send error report. i do that, and it tells me that the soft ware i had on it for the external iomega cd burner i have had compatibility issues with xp and that would cause restarts like the one i just had. i try to uninstall all of it, and did a system restore past the point i installed all that. thats when it got real fun. i lost all the drivers for my printer, webcam ect and had to reinstall them. then my windows media play would not work, says "cannot initialize wmplayer" and the same time i found for my yahoo messenger.

i try my IE and while i would open but would not do anything else, in fact half the windows items would not work after that , help, restore, search.

i am online and my firefox and netscape browsers still work, and i am completely lost as to what the problem is.

6 days later out of the blue it all starts working again, and all is good now. i am just curious about it. what the problem was. any thoughts?

Advertisements

paulcomputerman

paulcomputerman

• PipPipPip
  • 257 posts
Are you using a WIN32?

tmdk421

tmdk421

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
that i am

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
random reboots are usually due to heat, memory, driver issues or power supply. You can begin checking each one to rule it out as the cause.

tmdk421

tmdk421

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
i figured out what was causing the randon restarts, it was the driver software that came with an external cd burner, Iomega to be exact, i learned it has compatibility issues with xp. and restarts can be a result. i got that off my comp and it has not happened again. that problem solved, but i still curious why the programs i listed in my first post wouls not work, then 6 days latre they fix them selves.