Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Memory too low causing internet to freeze up?

• Please log in to reply

lbeham

lbeham

• PipPip
  • 37 posts
Can low memory cause my internet to freeze up?

I don't have a problem getting on the internet, my problem is when I am on any webpage and I try opening another link from that website, it will open it, but when I go to close it, it just freezes up. I am running zoom internet500 which is high speed. I didn't have problems until I had a virus and now my computer is totally clean, but internet freezes. So, if low memory could be the cause, what do I need to do to free up some memory? I really don't have anything of importance in my computer. Thanks in advance.

This is from my computer.....

503.48 Mb Total Physical Memory | 103.89 Mb Available Physical Memory | 20.63% Memory free
1.20 Gb Paging File | 0.76 Gb Available in Paging File | 63.51% Paging File free
Paging file location(s): C:\pagefile.sys 756 1512 [binary data]

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
503.48 Mb Total Physical Memory | 103.89 Mb Available Physical Memory | 20.63% Memory free
This is probably the root of your problem. Before I say this for sure let's take a look at some things.
Download Autoruns from the link in my signature below:
1: Extract the Autoruns Zip file contents to a folder.
2: Double-click the "Autoruns.exe".
3: Click on the "Everything" tab
4: Remove any entries that mention "File Not Found" by right-clicking the entry and select Delete.
5: Go to File then to Export As or Save in some versions.
6: Save AutoRuns.txt file to known location like your Desktop.
7: Attach to your next reply.

lbeham

lbeham

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
I will have to do this tonight because right now I am at work. I will post back once I do it. Also, here is the other forum that I had on here that helped me get my desktop back and cleaned out my computer. Some of the logs might help give you more information on my computer. Thank you.

http://www.geekstogo...nd-t258430.html

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Thanks but the information I will be needing will come form the logs I have you generate. We use different programs then the Malware forum does because we deal with technical here and not the infections. What I am having you get now is the programs that start in the background when you start your system. You may be surprised what all runs automatically that you didn't know about. :) :)
What we will attempt to do is to free up your memory and allow the issue to resolve itself but in the end I do honestly believe you will need to increase the amount of physical memory you have installed. I understand this was working correctly in the past but as you add programs the amount of autoruns needed will increase which will decrease the amount of available memory for your system to use.

Think of it this way... you have 503.48 megs of total memory.
Windows XP needs 256 megs to itself just to run.
That leaves 247 megs free for other programs.
Now every program uses a certain amount of memory until you close it and then that memory is returned to the memory pool to be used by something else. The more Autoruns running that leaves less available memory to be used by a running program. Hopefully this will explain what I am attempting to help you accomplish and that I have taught you alittle more in the process. We want to help you learn and just not resolve your issue :) :) :)

lbeham

lbeham

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
Okay, I understand. I will post back after I do the autoruns tonight. Thank you.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
:) You are welcome and I will wait for your log.

lbeham

lbeham

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
Attached File  AutoRuns.txt   107.73KB   216 downloads

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Open Autoruns, click on "Logon" tab, and UN-check:

+ "Adobe Reader Speed Launcher"
+ "iTunesHelper"
+ "QuickTime Task"
+ "SunJavaUpdateSched"
+ "HP Digital Imaging Monitor.lnk"
+ "Microsoft Office.lnk"
+ "Updates from HP.lnk" ""
X "UniblueRegistryBooster" (This one could be the cause of a lot of problems)

The next file needs to be manually disabled and is only needed if you use multi language on your keyboard. If you do then skip the step.

To turn off just ctfmon.exe go to:

Control Panel then to Regional and Language Options

Click on the Languages Tab then click the Details button

Click on the Advanced tab

Check the box that says Turn off advanced text services option

Click A and then OK

When done restart computer and then:

Download TFC by OldTimer to your desktop
  • Please double-click TFC.exe to run it. (Note: If you are running on Vista, right-click on the file and choose Run As Administrator).
  • It will close all programs when run, so make sure you have saved all your work before you begin.
  • Click the Start button to begin the process. Depending on how often you clean temp files, execution time should be anywhere from a few seconds to a minute or two. Let it run uninterrupted to completion.
  • Once it's finished it should reboot your machine. If it does not, please manually reboot the machine yourself to ensure a complete clean.

Download Auslogics Defrag from the link in my signature below. Auslogics Defrag in my opinion is better because:
It does a more comprehensive job at Defragging
It will actually show you what it is doing
At the end of working it will show you how much speed you picked up
You can view a online log of the files that Auslogics defragged

When done let me know how your system is now running

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
This is just a small portion what is actually auto running on your system. This is how ever the stuff that does not need to autorun.

lbeham

lbeham

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
Okay, I will do it when I get home. thank you for your help!

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Thank you and I will be here :)

lbeham

lbeham

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
Okay, I just finished everything. But one thing....UniblueRegistryBooster did not have a check mark beside it.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Thats ok because then it's not loading on startup. Just a FYI on any of the registry miracle programs...
A registry cleaner will not increase your system's speed or performance, and has the potential to break your registry to the point that your PC is no longer bootable.
We strongly advise that people stay away from any of the registry cleaners out there.
Go HERE to get more information about why registry cleaners aren't needed.

Thanks to Sari for the explanation

How is the system running now that you have the autoruns cut down, the temp files cleaned out and the systen defragged?

lbeham

lbeham

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
It seems to be better. I tried the internet and opened other links and pictures and it didn't freeze. I will post back if I have any more problems with it. Thank you for your patience and all your help!!!

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
We will wait for a couple of days to call this one resolved. Please let us know how everything is working then.