Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

HP d530 CMT won't boot to known good HDD

• Please log in to reply

shad0704

shad0704

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Greetings all,
I have a used HP d530 CMT that came from a networked business environment. The IDE HDD had been removed. When I plug in a known good 20Gb HDD w/ XP Pro from another unit it doesn’t boot. I get the normal splash screen then I get the “We apologize for the inconvenience, but Windows did not start successfully” screen with several start up options, safe mode, etc. When I click on any option it goes back to the normal splash screen. I’m in an endless loop here and can’t figure it out. Things I’ve tried include clearing CMOS, setting F10 BIOS setup to the factory default and replacing the onboard battery. It does have the ability to boot to a bootable CD and USB flash drive but will not boot to the known good HDD. Don’t know if PXE boot is enabled or not.

Any help much appreciated.

Advertisements

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,307 posts
Hi shad0704 and welcome to Geeks to Go.

It is virtually impossible to take a "known good working drive" from 1 computer and put it in another and expect it to work.

The OS on the 20gb drive is looking for all of the mother board drivers and other component drivers from the old computer.
You will probably have to run a repair install to get it working.

I do not recommend that because you most likely will wind up with a lot of issues.

I recommend a reformat and re-install of the OS.

123runner