Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

April 11th 2016

• Please log in to reply

girleh

girleh

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Ok, I have a LG X120 Netbook that I bought beginning October 2009 [this year], just recently, my laptop time, changes by itself. it doesn't change by like 2 hours ahead or 7 mins behind like most other people experience. instead, it changes to april 11th 2016. all the time, the same month date and year, nothing eles. and to be honest, i do have a antiviurs that i was trying out, now the expiration date of it is done - a full 90 day trial is done in one day because of the time change. so ok, i reboot to factory setting, and it does it again. its everytime i closed an app, turn off or turn on, it changes. so i restored it many times and ends up with the same issue .... help me please.

ps: i am bit of the spiritual side, so i tried investigating into what would happen in that year and month, and so far, not much luck. :)

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Welcome to G2G, girleh

This certainly is a strange one! When you say you've restored it, do you mean you've completely restored the operating system? i.e wiped everything on the hard drive & put a fresh copy of XP on using the recovery disc?
If so, does the problem come back straight away?

girleh

girleh

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
thank you thank you. glad to have joined.
yes. i restored it with the recovery disc, wiped out everything, didn't use any back up either. 3 times i had to do it. and it still happens. first i used the internal backup recovery disc, back to factory setting. still persist then twice with the recovery disc again. and still same thing. :)

stupidhomer

stupidhomer

• PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
Sounds a little like the CMOS battery is dead, might need to replace the battery with a new one ( not the laptop battery in the back, the one on the motherboard )

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
And does the date change more or less straight away? If it does, can you try restoring XP using the recovery disk, then (if you can bear it), use it without installing any other software & don't copy any of your files on to the system. Once you've run the restore, go straight to one of the free antivirus sites (eg AVG, Avast or Avira etc) & download & install the antivirus software. You must do this as the very first thing. Let me know if the date stays the same or whether it changes while using it like this.

Basically, I would normally say that the most likely cause of the problem is a virus or malware, it just seems strange in this instance because of all the restores you have done. If it IS being caused by a virus or piece of malware in this particular case, then you must reintroducing it into the system some time after the restore. During this period also be careful not to access any files you may have on a flash stick or other removable media in case they are infected.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
stupidhomer - when a bios battery dies & causes the date to be reset, it generally resets to a past date, not a future one! So unless someone at LG was having a laugh, this seems a little unlikely. If all else fails however, I will bear it in mind :)

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

Ok, I have a LG X120 Netbook that I bought beginning October 2009 [this year],

I think you are on the right track with the infection theory and I would be hesitant about replacing parts since the system is probably still under warranty. I have never heard of a battery doing this in the 14 years I have been doing tech work.

girleh

girleh

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
i backed up all my documents [word documents and pics] on to a dvdr, i deleted everything, wiped out programs and games and reinstalled windows xp again. when it was done reinstalling and had to put all the information again, i downloaded avg. right after installing avg, it automatically goes to april 11 2016 again. so, i did a scan and it had found nothing. i changed the time back to present date, now, this is also what i tried, i tried to sync with internet time, it worked for a bit until i closed it, it went to april 11th 2016. so i opened it again and check the box so it won't sync with the internet time, works fine. then i open google and and looked at my clock - was way off but the date went back to april 11th 2016. i am still in warranty with manufacturer and 3yr with futureshop, i may just bring it to them and see what they can do. :) its a good netbook too.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
I think you're right - have a word with LG about it and let us know what they say

Beowulf31539

Beowulf31539

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Okay, This has happened to me as well. I'm running windows XP Pro on a relatively new Motherboard. I have, however, been trying for the last few days to get rid of a nasty virus that has corrupted my explorer.exe and lsass.exe. I think this may be what keeps changing my date. Any Info would be appreciated.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Beowulf31539
I suggest you go to the Malware Removal and Spyware Removal Forum and run all the steps located in the
START HERE. These self-help tools will help you clean up 70% of problems on your own.
If you are still having problems after doing the steps, then please post the reguested logs in THAT forum.
If you are unable to run any of the tools then start a new topic in the malware forum and put this in the subject line...I am unable to run any malware tools

If you are still having problems after being given a clean bill of health from the malware expert, then please return to THIS thread and we will pursue other options to help you solve your current problem(s).

Add a link to this topic so that malware tech can see what steps have been taken here

Beowulf31539

Beowulf31539

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanx rshaffer61. That took care of my problem. I must say that this is a very nice forum. I've been trying for over 3 days to take care of this problem to no avail. I'm on here less than an hour and problem solved. I will start looking here first if I have a problem.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You are welcome and I'm glad we could help. Thanks for choosing GeeksToGo for help.