Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Sata Drive issues

• Please log in to reply

gomyr

gomyr

• PipPipPip
  • 240 posts
I have an AMD 64-dual core processor (4200+ @2.21G) on a KN1 SLI Lite motherboard rnning Windows XP SP3.

I have been running 2 Sata Hard Drives. Drive C was a WD2500 (250G) hard drive. Drive D was a Samsung HD753LJ (750G) hard drive. I wanted to upgrade (and clone) the C drive to a Seagate Barracuda (1.5TB) hard drive.

After turning off power, I removed the D drive (to eliminate the possibility of confusing the drives when performing the clone process) and connected the Seagate drive using the cables from the D drive that I removed. Using the Disk Utility CD that came with the Seagate drive I was successful in cloning the C drive to my new Seagate drive and was able to boot the computer successfully with ONLY the new Seagate drive connected.

I then turned the system off and reconnected the Samsung drive (my original D Drive) and the boot process would not go beyond the "windows XP" screen with the 3 dots running across the bottom.

I tried to use cntrl-alt-del to restart the computer, but it would not respond to that. I pushed the reset button and entered BIOS, where I found that only my new Seagate was detected. The Samsung (that I have been using for over 2 years) was not detected by BIOS. I tried multiple cables, multiple Sata ports on the MB, multiple power cables, etc. The drive simply does not show up, and Windows will not boot with the drive connected. I really need to access this drive, it is absolutely critical that I recover the information from this drive.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thank You in advance!

Advertisements

gomyr

gomyr

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts
I don't know if this is pertinent or not, but now the system does boot up with the drive plugged in (approximately 6 hours since my first post). It still does not see the drive, and it does not show up in BIOS but at least the computer stopped hanging in the middle of boot up.

Also, I have just noticed that the drive does NOT power up when the system powers up. I suspect this is probably why it cannot be seen by the computer. Anyone know how I can make the drive spin up?

Thanks!

Edited by gomyr, 08 December 2009 - 09:12 AM.