Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problem with loading Windows updares

• Please log in to reply

XPquery

XPquery

• Pip
  • 2 posts
For two weeks I have been trying to install Windows updates and have not had a problem previously. Going in through Control Panel starts off fine but Windows prompts me to install the latest version for updates (presumably so it can identify what I haven't got). When I try to install this I get message "0x08e10068 referenced memory 0x08e10068. The memory could not be written." and IE becomes "not responding" The debug does not alter things. Hence I cannot update. In fact IE refuses to operate afterwards unless I reboot. At logging off, Windows requires to end a program (I don't know what as nothing is shown on taskmaster). Everything else seem to work fine and no malware has been identified by AVG, Spybot or Malwarebytes .
I am also using Winpatrol and Zonealarm.
Can anyone help?

Advertisements

stupidhomer

stupidhomer

• PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
Hi XPquery, It sounds like you may have faulty RAM.
You're going to have to burn THIS to a disk.
If you don't know how, I recommend using Alex feinman's ISO recorder to do it, simply install the correct version for your version of windows, and then extract the zip file you downloaded, and double click on the .iso file, that should bring up a little screen to burn it, just make sure the right drive is selected, and make sure a blank cd is inserted, and then just hit burn.
After that's done boot from it, then start it. Leave it for a few hours to check the ram, it will say in the errors column how many errors it hit during the tests, if you get a lot of errors, you may have to replace the ram.

XPquery

XPquery

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thank you. I am having some difficulty booting from the disk I made BUT I took onboard the question of RAM issues and temporarily removed Spybot Teatimer from Startup and therefore memory and Windows updates went through (although with a bit of difficulty). My current PC is just under a year old (and therefore still under guarantee) so I have contacted the seller because 2gb of RAM should be enough to run Teatimer and other things IF everything is working OK

stupidhomer

stupidhomer

• PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
If you still have problems, you can probably contact the seller and ask them if they can replace the RAM with new ones, since it's still under guarantee they'll probably do it for free/cheap

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Our canned speech on checking memory....

Broni's Instructions:

If you have more than one RAM module installed, try starting computer with one RAM stick at a time.

NOTE Keep in mind, the manual check listed above is always superior to the software check, listed below. DO NOT proceed with memtest, if you can go with option A

B. If you have only one RAM stick installed...
...run memtest...

1. Download - Pre-Compiled Bootable ISO (.zip)
2. Unzip downloaded memtest86+-2.11.iso.zip file.
3. Inside, you'll find memtest86+-2.11.iso file.
4. Download, and install ImgBurn: http://www.imgburn.com/
5. Insert blank CD into your CD drive.
6. Open ImgBurn, and click on Write image file to disc
7. Click on Browse for a file... icon:

Posted Image

8. Locate memtest86+-2.11.iso file, and click Open button.
9. Click on ImgBurn green arrow to start burning bootable memtest86 CD:

Posted Image

10. Once the CD is created, boot from it, and memtest will automatically start to run.

The running program will look something like this depending on the size and number of ram modules installed:

Posted Image

It's recommended to run 5-6 passes. Each pass contains very same 8 tests.

This will show the progress of the test. It can take a while. Be patient, or leave it running overnight.

Posted Image

The following image is the test results area:

Posted Image

The most important item here is the “errors” line. If you see ANY errors, even one, most likely, you have bad RAM.

Lets now look for anything in eventviewer.
Please follow the steps below to enter the Event Viewer program in XP. This will give me more information into what is causing your issue.

Go to
Start and then click on Run
Type in eventvwr.msc and press Enter
On left side click on Applications On right side look for any RED X about the time of a incident
On left side click on System. On right side look for any Red X about the same time of a incident
Also look for any yellow exclamation mark at the same time in either of the above
If you find any double click on one at a time and take a screenshot.
To take a screenshot click on your Print Screen on your keyboard. It is normally the key above your number pad between the F12 key and the Scroll Lock key
Now go to Start
All Programs
Accessories
Paint
In the empty white area click and hold the CTRL key and then click the V
Go to the File option at the top and click on Save as
Save as file type JPEG and save it to your Desktop

Include as a attachment in your next reply
If your attachment is to big to attach then go to Mediafire .
Register and upload your file.
Then reply with the link located to the right of your now uploaded file on Mediafire