Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

My Parents Computer (Freezing Issues)

• Please log in to reply

Hello71

Hello71

• PipPip
  • 46 posts
The Ubuntu disk also has Memtest86+... If you want it, you can order one and they will ship you one (completely free!), although it takes a while. Probably would be a better idea just to buy a stack of CDs.

Also, registryeasy.com has a bad rating on WOT (http://www.mywot.com...egistryeasy.com), MalwareURL (http://www.malwareur...egistryeasy.com), and hpHosts (http://hosts-file.ne...egistryeasy.com)

Edited by Hello71, 21 December 2009 - 10:35 AM.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
A registry cleaner will not increase your system's speed or performance, and has the potential to break your registry to the point that your PC is no longer bootable.
We strongly advise that people stay away from any of the registry cleaners out there.
Go HERE to get more information about why registry cleaners aren't needed.

Thanks to Sari for the explanation

Jackpumpkinhead

Jackpumpkinhead

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
okay, i finally got some cds and ran memtest. i we let it run for several hours i think it did like 12 passed
and there were no errors. so i guess we move on right?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Next let's check the hard drive itself and run some diagnostics from within windows. Please do the following in the order I give so that we can see where the problem is.

Click HD diagnostic in my signature below. Choose the manufacturer of your hd. Download the tool.
Running this will tell us if there is a problem with HD itself. If not then we will pursue other hardware or software possibilities

NEW INSTRUCTIONS:

Run hard drive diagnostics: http://www.tacktech....ay.cfm?ttid=287
Make sure, you select tool, which is appropriate for the brand of your hard drive.
Depending on the program, it'll create bootable floppy, or bootable CD.
If downloaded file is of .iso type, use ImgBurn: http://www.imgburn.com/ to burn .iso file to a CD (select "Write image file to disc" option), and make the CD bootable.

NOTE. If your hard drive is made by Toshiba, unfortunately, you're out of luck, because Toshiba doesn't provide any diagnostic tool.

Thanks to Broni for the instructions

Go to
Start and then to Run
Type in Chkdsk /r Note the space between k and /
Click Enter ...It will probably ask if you want to do this on the next reboot...click Y
If the window doesn't shutdown on its own then reboot the system manually. On reboot the system will start the chkdsk operation
This one will take longer then chkdsk /f

Note... there are 5 stages...
It may appear to hang at a certain percent for a hour or more or even back up and go over the same area...this is normal...
DO NOT SHUT YOUR COMPUTER DOWN WHILE CHKDSK IS RUNNING OR YOU CAN HAVE SEVERE PROBLEMS
This can take several hours to complete.
When completed it will boot the system back into windows.

Let me know if this fixes the problem

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
If the above does not help then do the following in order.

Lets see what you have in your startup

Please click on
Start and then to Run
Type in msconfig and press Enter
Now click on Startups
Then uncheck everything and restart.
If system boots correctly and is running smoothly and faster then we have a startup problem
Try going back into msconfig and check one item and reboot
Keep doing that till you have found the problem or all are finally checked.
Post back with the results

Lets see what you have in your startup services area

Please click on
Start and then to Run
Type in msconfig and press Enter
Now click on Services
Click on the Hide All Microsoft Services
Then uncheck everything and restart.
If system boots correctly and is running smoothly and faster then we have a startup problem
Try going back into msconfig and check one item and reboot
Keep doing that till you have found the problem or all are finally checked.
Post back with the results

Jackpumpkinhead

Jackpumpkinhead

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Click HD diagnostic in my signature below. Choose the manufacturer of your hd. Download the tool.
Running this will tell us if there is a problem with HD itself. If not then we will pursue other hardware or software possibilities

i'm not sure what the manufacturer is of the hd
is there a way to find this out without actually cracking the case open?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Get the SeaTools diagnostics. It will work with most hard drives now.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
You have western digital drives.
And it looks like the C drive is the 200gb drive.
If Seatools does not work then get This

Disk Drive WDC WD1200BB-00CAA0 (111 GB, IDE)
Disk Drive WDC WD2000BB-22GUC0 (186 GB, IDE)

Partitions:
C: (NTFS) 186520 MB (58680 MB free)
D: (FAT32) 109321 MB (42938 MB free)
E: (FAT32) 5112 MB (3687 MB free)
F: (FAT32) 4251 MB (1517 MB free)
Total Size 298.1 GB (104.3 GB free)

123runner

shahram72

shahram72

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have the same issue with the same computer model so I thought I would post here instead of creating a new thread. Please let me know if this is improper. My computer locks up 2 ways, it's always a hard lock, no mouse movement, nothing responds, frozen screen. Most of the time, it is accompanied by a loud looping distortion static from the speakers and it doesn't stop. I have to shut the computer down by holding the power button. Now, it used to do spontaneous reboots, so I changed the power supply which fixed that problem but it did it again recently. Also it seems to lock up more often when I'm doing something sound-related, but not always. I'm sure it's a cheap part doing it but don't know what. Only once windows gave me the message to run that memory test, which I did, but not for many passes. Should I do it again? Could it be faulty sound hardware?