Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

hello fam, Please help

• Please log in to reply

locked on

locked on

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Hello all. New member that needs help. I got back from vacation and my computer was dead with this message.
We apologize for the inconvenience, but Windows did not start successfully. A recent hardware or software change might have caused this.

If your computer stopped responding, restarted unexpectedly, or was automatically shut down to protect your files and folders, choose Last Known Good Configuration to revert to the most recent settings that worked.

If a previous startup attempt was interrupted due to a power failure or because the Power or Reset button was pressed, or if you aren't sure what caused the problem, choose Start Windows Normally.

Safe Mode
Safe Mode with Networking
Safe Mode with Command Prompt

Last Known Good Configuration (your most recent settings that worked)

Start Windows Normally

Use the up and down arrow keys to move the highlight to your choice.
Seconds until Windows starts: 30

I have tried all these. The computer takes a while then loads
Multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\windows\system32\ntoskinl.exe
" " " " \drivers
Then the computer restarts with the first message. Can someone please help me out? How to determine if I have a bad processor or motherboard. I'm run xp home edition. Plus I have a Pentium 3.

Advertisements

dauthimaster

dauthimaster

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
you might want to try system restore or system recovery with ur windows cd

locked on

locked on

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Thanks. I tried, but it didn't detect my harddrive. It said to check cables and power (which I did). Any other suggestions

dauthimaster

dauthimaster

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
alright
got a couple questions for u then

1-was there a power outage during ur vacation? cuz if their was and then somehting could have been damaged because of a sudden loss of power or because of a surge if ur not connected through a surge protector

2-do u have another comp that u can check ur hard drive in to see if it actually is working?

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
can you post the whole error message? any chance it is referring to windows/system32/ntoskrnl.exe?
need to know the whole message.

did you leave the system on when you were gone, or off?

also, can you load the hard drive from this system into another PC? preferably another system using XPhome. if so, we may be able to fix this...

locked on

locked on

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I heard there was a storm, but it doesn't seem that my house lost power. I haven't tried to hook the hard drive up to my other comp. That will be my next step. I will let you know. Thanks

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
make sure you get the jumpers on this drive set to slave when you hook it up in the other PC.
what Im thinking is, assuming the drive checks out as working in the other system, then you should be able to fix the problem file. that is why I asked for the whole error message.

post back with the results of that, and we can determine whether it can be fixed up!

locked on

locked on

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Well, I put the other hard drive into my new computer and it would not boot up. It still gets the same message. I'm thinking this could be good though, because I know it is a bad hard drive right?

locked on

locked on

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Changed the boot priority also, to load from cd-rom to try to do a repair. I started to load a bunch of files then said windows is about to start recovery.
The recovery console provides system repair and recovery functionality. Type exit to quit the recovery console and restart the computer.
c:

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
alright, so you got the dos prompt in recovery console. that is a good sign, shows we can probably repair the problem.
first, please give me the whole error message you had originally. need to know the full path and filename of what it is unhappy about.

next, hook the problem drive into your other PC as a slave drive. so the other PC will have its normal drive to boot to. make sure its jumper settings are set to master.
then install the problem drive into that PC as well, with its jumpers set to slave. you should be able to boot that machine normally, and access files from the problem drive.
let me know when you get that happening. if we can get to that point, and I have the whole error message, the fix should be fairly easy after that.

Advertisements

locked on

locked on

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Sorry it took so long to get back. Well, I through a new hard drive in it and the computer works. I put the broke hard drive in as the slave and my computer recognized the drive, but it wasn't showing anything there. Left cllicked it and went to properties. It is showing 0 space free, 0 space used. Where the [bleep] is everything?

nixx

nixx

• PipPipPip
  • 187 posts
the drive musta been wiped out during the storm. i really dont know, but thats wierd.

Nixx

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
the drive may well be toast. you may be able to try some data recovery software, but my knowledge on that stuff is virtually nil.
did you have much critical data on there? you wight want to start a new thread, describing the dead drive and that you want to try and recover it. this should catch the attention of people here that know more about data recovery.

locked on

locked on

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
No, I really had everything backed up on my laptop. It just sucked that I had to eat 70 bucks for a new hard drive. I appreciate everyone responding and helping. Thank you

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
ok, glad to hear you dont need to try and recover anything. try formatting the old disc, see if you can revive it for more storage space.