Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Computer wont turn on

• Please log in to reply

Seraphime

Seraphime

• Pip
  • 4 posts
hp pavillion a6030n 4 gig ram, 320 gb hd, amd 64x2 dual core

Ok so earlier this morning before I left for work I shut my computer down and noticed the fan didnt stop, I just thought it was slow so I left and came back this afternoon and my computer will not turn on at all now, the little light in the back near the power supply is on and I've checked all the connections and checked my powerstrip to make sure it wasnt that..

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Welcome Seraphime

First things first - is this system still under warranty?

Seraphime

Seraphime

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
no its not

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Ok, that's fine. Just wanted to make sure that we weren't going to void any warranty by opening up the case etc

Please follow these instructions exactly. I don't know what your level of technical knowledge is with computers so I'll try and be as clear as I can but don't hesitate to ask if you have any questions.

1) First, disconnect the power lead at the back of the PC & then open up the case

2) Discharge your static by touching something metal in the house - a radiator is ideal

3) Locate the main (ATX) power connector to the motherboard. This is large rectangular block connector with approx 20 wires going into it. Unplug this connector from the board. Do not touch the motherboard any more than you absolutely have to.

4) Next locate the cmos battary. This is flat round silver battery (looks like a silver coin) seated on the motherboard.
Gently lever the battery out. It should be held in place by a spring clip.

5) Wait for a couple of minutes then replace the battery. Make sure you put it back the same way it came out (with the positive side up)

6) Reconnect the ATX power connector to the board

7) Plug the power back in & turn the system on

Let me know exactly what happens

Seraphime

Seraphime

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
absolutely nothing changed, it still wont turn on doesnt make a sound :)

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
I assume then that the fan inside the power supply doesn't spin up either then when you turn it on?

BurkeMtn

BurkeMtn

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have the same computer (HP Pavilion a6030n) and have a very similar problem that I was able to solve.

I found that if I leave computer plugged in, but shut it down, it starts back up just fine when I press the power button.

However,

... if I unplug the computer for a time (power plug at the back), then plug it back into its IEC power socket and then hit the start button ... NOTHING happens. I could not get the computer to start back up at all. No fans, no sounds, nothing. It's not my PSU - I took it out and it appears to work fine.

What worked for me (my HP is out of warranty too), is that I very temporarily shorted the green wire (there is only one) and any black wire on the 24-pin ATX power plug (there's one right next to the green wire), while it was plugged into the motherboard - shorting the green wire input and any black wire (ground) input on the ATX power plug turns on the 300W power supply and powers up the mobo as long as the two wires are shorted. Once I got the PS to turn on briefly, I then removed the short. Then I pressed the power button on the top front ... it starts up fine. (to short, I used a small pair of insulated scissors with sharp points - poke the points into the place where the wires enter the plastic socket and make contact with the green and black wires' metal crimp contact).

I have no clue why this is necessary. I just installed a new PCI-E video card (to replace the mediocre chipset built-in video support), so maybe that has something to do with it. Shorting the green/black wires must reset something on the mobo, but I was thinking the CMOS battery removal and replacement (as suggested) would accomplish the same thing. At any rate, one should NOT have to do this. I'll keep looking into the problem and if I find something, I'll let you know.