Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't reformat my computer

• Please log in to reply

Snake3190

Snake3190

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
According to another forum who did multiple scans of my computer deduced I in fact had a key logger on my computer, although it only seems to advertise on my computer rather than try to steal any information from me.

I was advised to reformat my computer which I was fine with, Sadly I lost my own Windows XP disk, a friend of mine let me use his Windows XP home edition disk, i changed my boot sequence to run off the disk first, everything was working like the last time i reformatted but once the setup seemed to finish i got hit with a blue screen, it mentioned i probably have a virus or maleware.

Possible reasons I've personally come up with are
1. I had my internet cable in last time i tried, im going to try doing it again tonight with it unplugged (The virus i have only seems to function with my internet running anyway).
2. The Windows XP Home Edition disk says Upgrade on it but it seemed to function like a normal disk so I'm not sure whether or not I can fully install the OS from this disk

If its because the disk says upgrade on it can anyone direct me where i could buy another XP disk?

Was wondering if maybe there could be other reasons it's not working, I've tried downloading a firewall since it stopped my Zonealarm from working, downloaded a 30 day trial of the new Zonealarm but when i try to start it up its missing a .dll apparently.

If you need a Hijackthis or something just ask.

Edited by Snake3190, 08 December 2009 - 05:28 PM.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I'm confused as to how you can get a HJT log if the system will not bootup? If it does bootup then
I suggest you go to the Malware Removal and Spyware Removal Forum and run all the steps located in the
START HERE. These self-help tools will help you clean up 70% of problems on your own.
If you are still having problems after doing the steps, then please post the reguested logs in THAT forum.
If you are unable to run any of the tools then start a new topic in the malware forum and put this in the subject line...I am unable to run any malware tools

If you are still having problems after being given a clean bill of health from the malware expert, then please return to THIS thread and we will pursue other options to help you solve your current problem(s).

Add a link to this topic so that malware tech can see what steps have been taken here

Snake3190

Snake3190

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Let me clear up, When i boot my system off the disk it blue screens me, but if i boot the system off my harddrive it runs fine i can make it to the desktop without a problem. A maleware removal site has already told me that I have a keylogger on my computer and I would rather just reformat my computer then try to solve the problem. They will just tell me what he told me, i already know this virus has downloaded software to my computer, it would be impossible to find it all. I'd rather just clean install. So i'd like to know if im using the wrong disk or if the virus messed with my ability to reformat.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Keylogger do not really mean a format and I don't know how trained the techs on the other site are. If you chose not to do this then you will need to completely erase the drive and not just format and reinstall. The upgrade disk will not work as it is not meant to be a bootable disk.
You will need to borrow a XP disk of the same type you had loaded on your system originally Home, Pro or Media Center
Once you have done that then we can instruct you on how to do this.

Snake3190

Snake3190

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Alright, I'll try to get a bootable disk, one question, whats the difference between cleaning the drive then reinstalling the OS than just reinstalling the OS, doesn't it clean your drive regardless?

Here is a link to the topic that i had with the other website
http://www.malwarere...o...=11&t=47327

In his opinion the safest way to assume my computer is safe is for me to do a clean install, although I'm open to a second opinion.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Nope we are talking about taking the partitions out and starting just like you bought a brand new drive. When you just replace the OS you are just erasing the old OS and putting a new one in it's place. This does not get rid of any infection you may have.
By completely deleting the partition(s) and then setting partition(s) back up you have in theory completely rid the hd of everything that could have been hiding. This results in the loss of all data and programs. Everything would have to be reinstalled.

Snake3190

Snake3190

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Well last time I booted off my the Windows Disk I had with SP 2 i think, ran /chkdsk r, after that i redid the partitions of my harddrive (I remember because i accidentally split it into two partitions and then put it back into 1) then it reinstalled the Operating System and i had to reinstall everything put in a new Admin password, reset up my internet, get my sound drivers, etc. I've never heard of a way to reinstall the OS while keeping all of your programs.

but basically I'd like to do what you suggest and completely clean my computer and start it brand new with my reinstalled OS. Only issue is I've turned my house upside looking for the Operating disk my computer came with. I might ask my uncle if he has a disk but I'm curious if I can get a copy that would work with my computer that I could get online if his doesn't work.

Edited by Snake3190, 08 December 2009 - 07:56 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

but I'm curious if I can get a copy that would work with my computer that I could get online if his doesn't work.

NO and if you did it would not be legal.
If you have anyone who has the same version of XP as you then borrow their disk. Your registration key is what is needed. You can't load a home with a pro key and vice versa.
I never asked but is this a custom built system or a brand name?

Snake3190

Snake3190

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
I didn't plan on obtaining it illegally I was curious if Microsoft sold copies. I've checked my OS its just Windows XP SP3, so i don't know if i have media, home or pro. I had custom built it on the dell website, getting a better graphics card and stuff because I wanted to play games. Otherwise its a Dell brand. And I don't remember what key I put in, I think it was the code on my computer itself.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Most likely Home version.
So it's a Dell system, then do you have recovery disks for it?
There should be a sticker somewhere on one of the sides or the back that has your registration key on it and what the original OS was. This will help to determine what you need.

Advertisements

Snake3190

Snake3190

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
I looked all over my house and I can't find the orange disk I used last year to reformat my computer. I know where the sticker is with my registration key since I used it to reinstall my sound drives, but I can't locate the disk I had with the OS.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
The sticker is the important issue. It will tell you what your original OS was.

Snake3190

Snake3190

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
I have to go to bed tonight, but I see the sticker on my harddrive, I would suppose you'd like me to type in the service tag or the express service code on Dell.com to find out specifically what kinda disk I'll need? I thank you for your help and hope you could continue tomorrow. Good night.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
No you should be able to see the OS version on the sticker.
But the service tag number will allow you to get to all the drivers for your system.

Snake3190

Snake3190

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Nope just has the Service Tag, the Dell website, the Express service code, and the Mtg Date