Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New System

• Please log in to reply

coljung

coljung

• PipPip
  • 47 posts
I'm looking into buying a new computer, and here are the specs of the one im looking at:

Intel Core i7 920 2.66GHz Quad-Core 64-bit Processor
ASUS P6T Motherboard (P6T)
Corsair TripleX XMS3 (TR3X6G1333C9), 6.0 GB Kit (3 x 2.0 GB) DDR3 (1333 MHz)
Antec Sonata III 500 Mid Tower Case, Antec EarthWatts 500 Watt ATX12V 2.0 Power Supply
LG Electronics Super Multi Double Layer 22xDVD Writer (GH22NS50)
Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 1.0 TB Hard Drive (ST31000528AS)
Asus ENGTX275 (ENGTX275/HTDI/896MD3), Nvidia GeForce GTX 275 GPU

Right now, the current setup comes to around $1600 canadian, now, is it worth to spend a couple hundred more getting the next available CPU, the i7 950 ? or to get the nVidia GeForce ENGTX260 GL+/HTDI 896MB PCI-E 2xDVI HDMI HDTV SLI instead ?

Im not a hard core gamer, I will be using mainly for work, Adoce CS4, and im sure i'll get some games after i buy it.

Btw, it seems the Asus 275 is not available at the moment and they offered me the Zotac instead if i want to buy it now.

One last thing, is it a good idea to buy a machine like this now, as i think prices usually go a bit down after the holidays.

Thanks in advance.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
What sort of system have you got at the moment?
As to when you buy it, it doesn't really matter because everything you buy computer wise is effectively obsolete already.

coljung

coljung

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
I have quite an old desktop, which i bought almost 7 years ago... its a bit obsolete now...

I recently had an ASUS G2 gaming laptop but i got it stolen while traveling abroad.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
One thing's for sure, that case isn't going to cut it. You'll need a better case for airflow with the parts you have chosen.