Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Browsing Slow Down/Hang ups

• Please log in to reply

msbug

msbug

• PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
I am a little above novice so please have patience. I have Windows XP, Spyware Blaster. CCleaner, AVG 8.5, and Malwarebytes. I mainly use Mozilla. I have done scans and nothing shows as infected. My computer hangs up when browsing. It will start out quickly and be fine, then as the day progresses it will hang up when trying to open sites. This started happening the weekend. I had Zone Alarm but uninstalled it. I looked for the True Vector process, as I know it can still run in the background and cause problems, but it doesn't show. I also uninstalled the new AVG 9 as I thought that might be conflicting. I reinstalled AVG 8.5. Below is my hijackthis file. Thank you for any help.

Also when opening Task manager on processes, firefox has 65,148 mem usuage and then there is one that says System at 85,516 mem usuage. I don't remember that there before. Could something be going on in the background causing the slow down. Thanks.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Hello msbug.... Welcome to GeeksToGo, :) :) :)

I'm sorry to hear about your issue. We will try to help you resolve this as soon as possible.
Please understand we are all volunteers and we are not here all the time. Sometimes it may be a extended amount of time to get back to you. If it has been more then 3 days please shoot me a PM and I will try to get back to you quickly then.
Please do the following and post the requested log...

Download Autoruns from the link in my signature below:
1: Extract the Autoruns Zip file contents to a folder.
2: Double-click the "Autoruns.exe".
3: Click on the "Everything" tab
4: Remove any entries that mention "File Not Found" by right-clicking the entry and select Delete.
5: Go to File then to Export As or Save in some versions.
6: Save AutoRuns.txt file to known location like your Desktop.
7: Attach to your next reply.

Download TFC by OldTimer to your desktop
  • Please double-click TFC.exe to run it. (Note: If you are running on Vista, right-click on the file and choose Run As Administrator).
  • It will close all programs when run, so make sure you have saved all your work before you begin.
  • Click the Start button to begin the process. Depending on how often you clean temp files, execution time should be anywhere from a few seconds to a minute or two. Let it run uninterrupted to completion.
  • Once it's finished it should reboot your machine. If it does not, please manually reboot the machine yourself to ensure a complete clean.

Download Auslogics Defrag from the link in my signature below. Auslogics Defrag in my opinion is better because:
It does a more comprehensive job at Defragging
It will actually show you what it is doing
At the end of working it will show you how much speed you picked up
You can view a online log of the files that Auslogics defragged

msbug

msbug

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
Thank you very much for your help and quick response. It's been frustrating, because the computer will be quick for half the day and then hang up. I have done the three things you suggested. I will attach the log for autorun. I hope I do it right.

Attached Files

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Open Autoruns, click on "Logon" tab, and UN-check:

+ "Adobe Photo Downloader"
+ "Adobe Reader Speed Launcher"
+ "iTunesHelper"
+ "QuickTime Task"
+ "RealTray"
+ "SunJavaUpdateSched"
+ "BigFix.lnk"
+ "MSMSGS"

The next file needs to be manually disabled and is only needed if you use multi language on your keyboard. If you do then skip the step.

To turn off just ctfmon.exe go to:

Control Panel then to Regional and Language Options

Click on the Languages Tab then click the Details button

Click on the Advanced tab

Check the box that says Turn off advanced text services option

Click A and then OK

When done restart computer and then:
When system reboots let me know how everything is working now.

msbug

msbug

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
I did it all. I will have to wait and see how it works, because as I wrote, it can work good for half a day and then hang up.

I do have two questions. One in my task manager on the processes tab, on the Mem tab, after firefox, that uses the most at 62,000 there is one that just says System and uses
84,000 on the mem tab. Is that normal?

The next question is do you think I left anything behind after the Zone Alarm uninstall. Could you tell by the autorun log I attached.

One more thing, sorry. On the hijack log I had first posted there was a wormradar, is that legitimate? I tried to research and saw it had something to do with AVG.

Thank you.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Did you see this at the bottom of your first post?

Reason for edit: removed clean log

A malware Moderator looked through the log and found nothing wrong.
I found nothing left from ZoneAlarm
Yes everything seems normal.

msbug

msbug

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
It's 5 am and it loaded quickly and everything seems to be faster. The test will be today when I leave it on and see how it does.

Thank you again for your patience and help especially the easy way you explained everything for a novice like me. Have a good week. If anything happens I will post back, ut it see,s to be okay now.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I will continue to monitor this topic for your results. :) :)

msbug

msbug

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
Everything seems to be working fine now. No hang ups. Thank you so much again for your help.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Congratulations. :) for a successful resolution for your issue.

You are very welcome. I'm glad we could help and please let us know how everything works out for you.
If there is anything else we can do to help please feel free to ask. I appreciate that you allowed me to assist you with your issue and for your patience.
Thank you for choosing GeeksToGo for help. :) :)
This issue now appears to be resolved.

If other members are reading this and have a similar problem please begin a New Topic and someone will assist you as soon as possible