Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

SB

• Please log in to reply

capper

capper

• PipPip
  • 86 posts
I am not sure why everyone is attacking me in regard to the Slingbox. They are available at retails stores worldwide. I was plainly told that they are 100% legal since (1) you can only watch the online stream on a single PC and (2) you are not earning money through the transmissions.

How is the Slingbox illegal? Why hasn't the company been sued already and why are they still selling the product worldwide?

Please explain.

Advertisements

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
The slingbox is not the issue. That's just a piece of hardware. The issue is what you are doing with it. Have you entered into a contract agreement with the service providers (first the cable company and now the satellite company) to provide their services to your home? Not according to your other post. According to your other post, your neighbor has the contract between him and them. You say you are not earning money off it, but are you paying the cable and satellite providers for your use of their products in your home? If you have not entered into a legal contractual agreement to share your neighbor's services, then you are, in effect, making money by not paying for something that you should be paying for. And that is using the Slingbox to steal those services.

Note the purpose of the Slingbox is for the customer to "placeshift" services he paid for to another location for his personal use. It is not intended to share services with friends and neighbors living in different abodes. Note their home page where it says, "Watch your TV on your iphone. Note the Slingbox End-User License Agreement where it says (my bold emphasis),

The license granted to you by Sling Media is solely for your personal, lawful, non-commercial use in connection with a Slingbox owned by you and connected to an audiovisual source that you are lawfully entitled to view.

Are you lawfully entitled to view those cable and satellite audiovisual sources in your home? Not if you have not entered into a contractual agreement with those providers to provide those services to your home.