Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

ComboFix Disabled Internet?

• Please log in to reply

BAPACop

BAPACop

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I posted on the Ad-Aware forums to get help in removing malware. When I ran ComboFix, my wireless internet connection was disabled on my computer. I know it works becuase I'm using it right now to type this on a different computer in the house. The topic in question is located here: http://www.lavasofts...s...=27828&st=0

I already tried right-clicking and then clicking "Repair."

Advertisements

othersteve

othersteve

• PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
Hey BAPA,

I'm not sure of the protocol here as you're already receiving malware removal advice from another forum. However, to point you in the right direction with your Winsock network settings, you might try running this fix:

WinsockXP Fix

This program replaces the Winsock files and resets the associated registry keys, restoring connectivity after it is broken for any number of reasons.

If you still need help removing your infection, I suggest you follow the instructions posted here in the Virus, Spyware, and Trojan Removal forum and get help from one of the resident experts.

~os

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Infection has been cleaned according to other site. This is a after affect of the cleaning.
Does the system see the wireless adapter for your internet?
Have you tried to straight wire into your system?

BAPACop

BAPACop

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Regarding the protocol, I was referred to this site from that forum, as the person who was helping me didn't know what to do next. It's on page 2.

The computer acts like it sees the wireless adapter, what it says it cannot do is find the connection itself.
I can't straight wire into my system because my computer is on the entire opposite side of the house and is up a floor from where the wireless internet enters the house to the router. It would basically end up being a major remodeling project attempting to get a wire to my computer.

I should note something that I mentioned in the other forum, that may or may not have an effect... My wireless internet detector is not built into my computer, but rather is an external antenna that is connected via a port on the exterior of the computer (which is connected like a video card, I forget what it's called).

I'm downloading the Winsock program now, but won't be able to run it until tomorrow. I'll post the results.

othersteve

othersteve

• PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
Yes, please give that a shot and let us know the results. I suspect it may correct your issue outright.

~os

BAPACop

BAPACop

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Unfortunately, it did not fix my problem. I'm now thinking more than ever that the problem is the antenna, because I have found a screen that says hardware is disconnected... I've checked the antenna itself, and it is connected fine. Is there any way to find out if any drivers (or similar) are damaged, or were deleted by ComboFix?

Also, I should probably have mentioned the second problem I encountered immediately after running ComboFix... In the "Appearances" tab in "Display" in the Control Panel, every display theme except Windows Classic vanished. My computer is stuck looking like Windows 98.

stupidhomer

stupidhomer

• PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
Look in C:\WINDOWS\Resources\Themes\ and see if Royale or Luna is in there, and try opening the .theme files in there

Also if your wireless adapter came with a disk, use it to reinstall the drivers just to make sure the drivers aren't broken

BAPACop

BAPACop

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
When I attempted to open the .theme files, it told me the Service was disabled. I went and turned it on, and set it to Automatically turn on when the computer starts. The Windows XP theme immeThat got me thinking that I should check the other services to see if anything internet-related was disabled. I went and found the Wireless Zero Configuration service (which I should have checked in the first place considering the error messages I was getting) and everything works now.

Thank you all for your assistance!