Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

First Build

• Please log in to reply

Tros4294

Tros4294

• Pip
  • 4 posts
What do you think of this build? This is including the new Windows 7 64x OS in the package, wanted to stay around 1000 bucks and I think ive met that goal.. Ive already got a 24in Monitor, Keyboard, Mouse etc..

Basically my goal is to be able to play current popular games like CoD:MW2, Crysis, Left 4 Dead 2, Dragon Age: Origins, etc.. on maxed out settings.. Watch DvD's.. and just basic everyday use..

Anything I should change? Is this a good build that will last me for future gaming? Think I should bite the bullet and get a GTX 295 instead of the 260? Should I go and i7 instead of the i5?

Comments welcome!

Posted Image

Edited by Tros4294, 08 December 2009 - 10:35 PM.

Advertisements

Placid Storm

Placid Storm

• PipPip
  • 43 posts
This is your mother board and processor bundled. But I would go with the AMD PenomII x4 955 Bundle its faster and cheaper. RAM looks ok for the i5 but you can go with a slower RAM for the AMD unless you are going to overclock. I would also swap out the power supply for the corsair it is known to have a stable 12v rail. Your PC is fine if thats what you like I am just giving a few suggestions. Good choice with the Plextor drive I bought one and haven't had the slightest problem with it.

Tros4294

Tros4294

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Ive heard good things about the Plextor drives, it was slightly more pricey then the others but overall it was a good choice. As far as my PSU, I thought about spending an extra 100 or so and buying a Modular power supply. I like the Corsair you linked me, but man.. thats alot of freaking plugs.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

I like the Corsair you linked me, but man.. thats alot of freaking plugs.

It gives you enough for future upgrades and add ons.... :)

Bonzai82

Bonzai82

• PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
AMD X4 955 is not faster than i5 750.As for graphic card I would rather go with ati 5850.

Placid Storm

Placid Storm

• PipPip
  • 43 posts
The Asus M4A78T-E Motherboard with AMD Phenom II X4 955 Quad Core Processor w/Fan Bundle It s 3.2 Ghz Quad Core where as the ASUS P7P55D Pro Motherboard & Intel Core i5 750 Processor Bundle is a 2.66 Ghz Quad Core It does say that with its "Turbo Boost" It can go up to 3.2 Ghz. So the choice is really up to you. My money is on AMD it is always at 3.2 Ghz, even if it has a 6 mb cache where the i5 is supposed to have an 8 mb cache when it "Turbo Boost" not sure why they designed it to speed up when demanded. I know that if you run your car at Extreme RPM's It Blows Up. Not sure how running a motherboard in "Turbo Boost" mode will effect the stability. I still gotta suggest the AMD.

Edited by Placid Storm, 13 December 2009 - 09:36 AM.