Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Computer doesn't bootup - POST code 83 on motherboard

• Please log in to reply

goatnuts666

goatnuts666

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi everyone,

I used to have a fully functioning computer. It had been working fine for the last 2 years -- very infrequently used. About a couple months ago the computer started to make a lot of sound when running. I couldn't really tell what it was but I had two suspicions -- either the harddrive or the fan (or something related to the PSU??). Since it was quite loud, I got worried so after that point in time I only ran the computer some 5-6 times total and wouldn't run it for too long.

Finally, I just shut it down for good. Yesterday I tried to start it again after about a 2 month break. When I connect the power supply and the switch on the power supply is turned on (but the computer is off), the POST code and the mother board lights are on. When I press the POWER switch on the computer to turn it on, the POST code goes to 83 and just stops. Nothing else shows any sign of life. The computer BIOS screen doesn't even come up. I don't think any of the peripherals are even initialized. The fans don't come on either, including the PSU fan.

This points to two possibilities -- the motherboard or the PSU. Since the computer doesn't even get to the harddrive, perhaps there was never any harddrive problem. Or maybe there is a harddrive problem AND a PSU or motherboard issue. Because the PSU fan doesn't turn on, I am guessing this may be a PSU related issue. Should I just try to replace the PSU?

Any thoughts?

Regards,
goat

Edited by goatnuts666, 09 December 2009 - 11:47 PM.

Advertisements