Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Reformatted and can't get onto the Internet

• Please log in to reply

Twistie

Twistie

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
I know I need to download drivers. But I have no idea how to go about getting the information I need to find the drivers. I have been to a number of multiple driver links, but I just don't know which one to choose!!

I got given a command once in the Run thingy that gave me all the specs of my computer. But I can't remember it. Anyone know that too? Sure that would help!

Thanks so much :)

Advertisements

Placid Storm

Placid Storm

• PipPip
  • 43 posts
What company made your PC?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Is this a name brand system? HP, Compaq, Dell, Gateway
If so then what model is it?
If not then we can try another way to get the information. :) :)

Twistie

Twistie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
Hi there!! Thanks so much for the replies!

My computer was made by Dell. When I do a Properties on the main drive, these are the specs I get:

Intel Core i7 CPU
920 @ 2.67GHz
2.66 GHz, 2.99 GB of RAM
Physical Address Extension

I did try going to the Dell website, but I just don't know how to navigate around to find the right drivers.

Thanks again!

Placid Storm

Placid Storm

• PipPip
  • 43 posts
What model of Dell Computer is it I will try my best to help you locate it I own an older dell that I use Dell to find drivers for it.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK Dell is the make of the system but there should be a model number also on the system. Start HERE and you have several options for getting to the list of original drivers.
The easiest would be by entering your Service Tag number. If you don't have that then go to the Chose a Model window and follow along. It will guide you to the right drivers then.

Twistie

Twistie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
OK, I pulled out my receipt and my model is Studio XPS 435MT. I entered in my tag number and Dell lovingly provided me with all the Vista 64 drivers. It won't give me a list of drivers for XP.

I originally had Vista - for 9 months I strugged with it, but I can't access my work remote access with Vista, so I downgraded to XP. Will the Vista drivers that Dell are offering still work with XP?

Thanks

OK, since posting above, I have tried downloading a lot of the drivers and my computer is spitting at me :)

Edited by Twistie, 09 December 2009 - 10:02 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
So what you need is the network driver so you can get online I'm taking it?

If so then go HERE
and get this file
Multi language: PRO2KXP_v14_0.exe
Let us know if this works.

Twistie

Twistie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
I initially need the "go online" driver, but I am guessing I will need drivers for all of my components eventually, at least if I can get online I can go to some driver site and type in what I need.

That "go HERE" link didn't work, it brought me to a Download site that said wasn't available anymore.

BTW, what is the Run command that gives you all your PC information? Do you know?

Thanks again :)

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

BTW, what is the Run command that gives you all your PC information? Do you know?

dxdiag

Go HERE and click on the network adapter first link. Generic adapter.
Then scroll down to the 6th driver and get it.

Advertisements

Twistie

Twistie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
Just to confirm for sure, the 6th driver is:

Network Adapter Driver for Windows Vista* and Windows Server 2008 x64*

Installs network connection drivers. Includes Intel® PROSet for Windows Device Manager*, Advanced Network Services for Teaming and VLANs, and SNMP.

OS: Windows Server 2008 Datacenter x64*, Windows Serv .. More> Windows Server 2008 Datacenter x64*, Windows Server 2008 Enterprise x64*, Windows Server 2008 Standard x64*, Windows Server 2008*, Windows Vista 64*, Windows Vista Business, 64-bit version*, Windows Vista Enterprise, 64-bit version*, Windows Vista Home Basic, 64-bit version*, Windows Vista Home Premium, 64-bit version*, Windows Vista Ultimate, 64-bit version*, Windows Vista*, Windows Web Server 2008 x64*

But the 7th driver is:

Network Adapter Drivers for Windows XP* and Windows Server 2003*

Installs network drivers. Includes Intel® PROSet for Windows Device Manager*, Teaming & VLAN (ANS), and SNMP.

Am I wanting the Vista one or the XP one? Thanks :)

Twistie

Twistie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
I downloaded them both and the Vista one would not install, but the 7th driver, the XP one did and I now have internet!!! WAHOO!!!

Any suggestions on a good site to go to now to download all the other drivers I am going to need?

Cheers and thanks a MILLION!!

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Go back HERE and the video and sound drivers are there for you.
If you want do the following and I can tell you what you need to get.

Please Go to
1: STARTand the click on RUN
2: Type in devmgmt.msc
3: Click Enter
4. Expand the window so all entries can be seen and then take a screen shot of it

To do a screenshot please have click on your Print Screen on your keyboard. It is normally the key above your number pad between the F12 key and the Scroll Lock key
Now go to Start and then to All Programs
Scroll to Accessories and then click on Paint
In the Empty White Area click and hold the CTRL key and then click the V
Go to the File option at the top and click on Save as
Save as file type JPEG and save it to your Desktop

Attach it to your next reply

Twistie

Twistie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
Hi there, I downloaded the graphics and audio drivers as that website suggested. No problems there. Will I need the Chipset driver? Not sure which one on that list they link to is the one I need. Here is my screenshot, as requested.

:)

Attached Thumbnails

• My_Desktop.JPG

Placid Storm

Placid Storm

• PipPip
  • 43 posts
Looks like it's all under control if you Updated the Graphic and Sound Driver. I am stepping out on this one.