Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

question about using online scanners

• Please log in to reply

whydie

whydie

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
Hello,
I am aware that one should have one anti-virus, one anti-spyware, and one firewall, running in real time protection.
I have been trying out online scans. When I run an online virus scan, do I need to shut down avast/spybot? Will they conflict with one another?

Advertisements

Placid Storm

Placid Storm

• PipPip
  • 43 posts
Use caution if you are doing an online scan make sure you can trust the site. I suggest getting a malware guy to help if you think you are infected. But online scans are just that its a scan that shows whats on your PC.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Most online scanners will require you to disable any active running AV's as this can cause FP readings.

But online scans are just that its a scan that shows whats on your PC.

While in theory this is correct it is not the normal for online AV scanners as they are meant for really only one reason.