Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

internal audio wiring issue

• Please log in to reply

dauthimaster

dauthimaster

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
i have a diablo tek case and it has front panel audio, just a headphone and microphone jack, so i wnat to hook it up. problem is the lables on the cables dont match the labels in my motherboard instruction book. is there any way to translate between the two?

Advertisements

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
what do the labels say for each?

dauthimaster

dauthimaster

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
front panel audio:
MIC IN
L OUT
L IN
MIC BIAS
GND
R OUT
R IN

mother board:
BLINE_OUT_L
Line out_L
NC
BLINE_OUT_R
Line out_R
+5VA
MICPWR
AGND
MIC2

it came with bline out l and line out l jumpered and bline out r and line out r jumpered

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
could you give me the make and model of your mobo? I want to look up the manual myself to check a couple things.

dauthimaster

dauthimaster

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
asus A8N-SLI Deluxe socket 939

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
OK, the jumpers on the board are likely for if no front audio is connected. they need the jumpers to bypass the connectors...you want to connect front sound jacks, so pull the jumpers form the Bline/line L and R.
you only have connectors available for line outs and mic. so connect line out L connector across the Bline/line L, line out R connector across the bline/line R (replacing the jumpers you pulled).
the mic im not so sure on... are they still 2 pin connectors, or single? and is the ground a single pin connector?

dauthimaster

dauthimaster

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
all of them are single pin connectors, so i wont be able to connect the l and r out onto both bline and line out connections

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
oh, ok. in that case, the line in/line out for each channel should go onto line/bline for L & R. probably doesnt matter which is which, just keep it consistent. so, lets say outL goes to Line out L, in left goes to BlineoutL, etc.
if that fails, try reversing.

ground will go to ground no matter what.

for the mic, mic in goes to the mic 2 pin, and mic bias should go to the mic power pin.

after you get windows installed, followed immediately by the chipset drivers (which will activate the onboard sound), try using the rear sound jacks first. if they dont work, replace the jumpers on the mobo sound connectors. make sure they work first, then you can figure out the front panel pinout. hopefully this wont be an issue. post back here if that happens, or if you have any other questions for the build, etc.

btw, nice mobo! lots of SATA jacks, supporting the newest speed for SATA...first mention Ive seen of that in a real world application so far. also, I see it has the SLI dual video card thing- you gonna use that? I am really curious how well that actually works!

dauthimaster

dauthimaster

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
thx for the info ill try that and see how it works.

i plan on tryin the dual video cards in the future, right now im just running a geforce 6600 and i need atleast a 6600 gt to jumper it, so ill have to upgrade to try and funds arent there atm :tazz:

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
I just did more searching on the asus site, looks like I got it right.

I can understand about "only" having 1 vid card, it all adds up $-wise.
as I understand it (have only read a little about it), SLI works best when its two of the same kind of card.

at any rate, with that mobo, and the expandibility it has, you should be able to last for years on this system your building. nice!

Advertisements

dauthimaster

dauthimaster

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
um what should i do about the other ground connection, cuz it has 2 and my mobo only has one...should i put it on the +5va?

dauthimaster

dauthimaster

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
sorry, i totally missed that on the list i gave u

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
you only listed 1 ground from the case...is there another?
DO NOT connect that to the +5volt! that would send a high (relatively speaking) voltage onto the audio lines, and could wreak havoc- damage to the sound chip.

here is the pinout per asus.

edit- I strongly suspect that all these connectors are bridged at the plugs for the h/p- mic. try just connecting the one. if you have a multi-meter, that can do continuitiy testing, we can check that. let me know if you have one...

Edited by audioboy, 17 May 2005 - 12:07 AM.

dauthimaster

dauthimaster

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
yup, i got that, im looking at my manual. so should i even connect the extra ground?
what does the nc pin do? most of em i got pretty close to right, but i have no clue about that one

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
n/c is short for not connected. it does nothing.

did you see my edit above...

Edited by audioboy, 17 May 2005 - 12:09 AM.