Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Major problems due to virus...

• Please log in to reply

jonhensley

jonhensley

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Avast found malware as soon as I logged in today. Instead of moving the files to chest I deleted about 13 .sys files from the system32\drivers\ folder.

Now my whole computer is screwed up and not working right. When I click on ie it starts installing.. and then after five minutes ie window comes up but I can't visit any sites without getting errors.

I tried to run the sfc utility and it didn't find any errors.

I have the list of all the .sys files I deleted.

I tried to run an XP repair install using the xp cd... and it gets all the way through and restarts... but freezes up at the Windows loading screen.. it says Please Wait... I can move the mouse around but it stays on that screen for hours. When I restart the pc the same problems are there.

Any ideas on what I can do?

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Boot to safe mode and try "last known good configuration". If not successful - run system restore to a previous date.

If you need instructions please ask.