Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

New Computer Video Problems

• Please log in to reply

Gerberman09

Gerberman09

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hello, as you can already tell I am having trouble with my video output. In order to help you help me, ill give a complete outline of my problem.

I built my own computer a couple weeks ago, booted it up and installed Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit without reformatting my hard drive that had windows XP SP2 on it.

From here, everything was fine. I installed my video card drivers off of nvidias website for my BFG Tech GTX 285. Still everything was fine, I installed World of Warcraft, and played with max graphics like nothing.

Then here comes the problem, I tried to reinstall Borderlands onto my computer, however after it finished it would not run. I looked around the net and found out that some of nvidias drivers were unstable and sometimes would not allow your computer load Borderlands. I uninstalled Borderlands, and updated my video drivers to 195.62. I later found out that borderlands would not run due to a old installation of it in my windows.old file. This was the biggest mistake I have ever made with a computer.

After installing 195.62 I ran into a MAJOR problem for a computer gamer. While playing certain games my screen now flicks black for a second to a minute and this varies from game to game.

WoW - Flashes for 1-3 seconds then reappears as if nothing happened. Happens sometimes not in day, then sometimes 5 times in a couple minutes depending on how demanding the game is.

Borderlands - Flashes anywhere from 1-20 seconds, reloads fines, happens a couple times a hour.

Call of Duty - Flashes anywhere from 5-2 minutes, recovers, happens all the time, 15 times or more in 30 mins of gameplay.

So as you might have noticed, the more juice a game requires the worse off the video recovery time is and more times the screen flashes black.

Also I blue screened once during a flash while playing WoW.

Here is some other useful information i found in event viewer.

- Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered.

This is whats failing and recovering.

Now, i already tired to uninstall my current nvidia drivers and go back and get old ones, but it seems like my video card no matter what i do will not go back.

Only thing I have seen anywhere is to flash my mobo, however i am not 100% sure about how to do this, and i have know that flashing a mobo is not always a good thing.

sorry i somehow double posted.

Edited by Gerberman09, 10 December 2009 - 02:46 AM.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Hello Gerberman09.... Welcome to GeeksToGo, :) :) :)

I built my own computer a couple weeks ago, booted it up and installed Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit without reformatting my hard drive that had windows XP SP2 on it.

Here's your problem from the start. You went from a 32 bit OS to a 64 bit OS. This is why you have to format and start fresh. The answer is to backup your data along with newest drivers you have. Format the system and reinstall Win 7 fresh.
You should never flash the bios unless there is a specific problem that needs to be corrected. Your answer is format and fresh install. That should take care of all your issues. Was there a reason why you installed right over your old OS? Were you trying to save data or files from old system?

Gerberman09

Gerberman09

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Hello Gerberman09.... Welcome to GeeksToGo, :) :) :)

Here's your problem from the start. You went from a 32 bit OS to a 64 bit OS. This is why you have to format and start fresh. The answer is to backup your data along with newest drivers you have. Format the system and reinstall Win 7 fresh.
You should never flash the bios unless there is a specific problem that needs to be corrected. Your answer is format and fresh install. That should take care of all your issues. Was there a reason why you installed right over your old OS? Were you trying to save data or files from old system?

Whoops, sorry i dint state that right. I never used the computer with windows XP, the only part of the computer that has used windows XP was the hard drive i installed windows 7 on. I never ran the system with windows XP, so it may have the .old file, but in the end it should not effect my drivers considering windows had to find most of them anyways.

I dint have a problem till I updated my video card drivers for the second time on Windows 7.

EVERYTHING worked flawlessly on windows 7, the whole point of a windows.old file is to allow you to still have your old OS just in-case you need to revert back. I didn't need my .old file so i deleted it a while ago.

The fact is I installed windows 7, booted my new build for the first time, installed my drivers, it worked prefect, updated video card drivers again, and then the problems started.

I agree that i should have done a fresh format on my hard drive, but i don't agree that it is what is causing the problem, because everything was working fine.

I installed over my old OS due to rushing to fast. I forgot to get a sata cd rom and i was sitting around with a computer with no OS, then i found one in my pile of computer parts, so by the time i was installing windows 7 it was 4am and i was not thinking about what was smart. i just wanted a working computer, and thats what I got.

I came here due to nvidia's support for their drivers is almost non existent. Ive seen a lot of people who had this problem but were never given a clear answer on how to fix it.

I might end up doing a complete reformat anyways, but currently i am very busy with my online gaming life, so anything to get around this without reinstalling tons of programs and backing up 600 GB's of data would be very appreciated.

Edited by Gerberman09, 10 December 2009 - 07:41 AM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
what you can do is then boot into Safe Mode
Go into Device Manager and uninstall the NVidia drivers from there.
Reboot back into normal mode and then load the newest driver that will work correctly with your games.
Again I can not guarantee this will even work as even Microsoft says to format and install a 64 bit OS fresh and not over the top of a 32 bit OS.
By uninstalling all the drivers and loading just the newest hopefully everything will work correctly then.
Now as far as 600 gigs of data I'm just astonished that you have that much in only a couple of weeks of building this system. Is this all on your main drive and what data is this? The data can be saved but it's not going to be easy. Is this on a different drive?

Gerberman09

Gerberman09

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
600GB's was an over exaggeration on my part, i have 3 hard drives the other 2 are different sizes so there is not chance of me acdienlty reformating the wroung one. How ever i have a couple thousand files on my OS hard drive, more around 60GB's but I happen to be a organiztion freak when it comes to files. I can just complie them all and put them on one of my other hard drives.

OS hard drive: 450 GB
External hard Drive for backing up data: 500GB
Internal hard drive for data storage: 750GB

Mainly for me to to a complete reformat and reinstall and make my computer the way i like it is a few day process, and currently i am busy 3-4 days outta the week every other day. I am really just nit picking here, but i will do what you have suggested about safe mode, and see if that works. It most likely will, and if doesn't ill reply and let you know, and ill try to find sometime where people dont need me to be online so i can reformat.

Thanks for your help, i have read some of your other reply's to other peoples topics, and i just want to let you know that its a great thing that you help people for free. The world needs more people like you. :)

Edited by Gerberman09, 10 December 2009 - 08:33 AM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
The data can be moved to one of the other drives temporarily if needed.
I hope the Safe Mode option works for you but don't get discouraged if it doesn't.
I appreciate the kind words and even if it does work please let me know as it may help someone later who has the same issue. We like to know good or bad how everything works out.
I'm not here for the short quick fix but to make sure you are happy and satisfied. Sometimes the resolution is painful but might be the only way to correct the problem.