Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

"System busy" ?

• Please log in to reply

wdc202

wdc202

• PipPipPip
  • 259 posts
About once a week my Aptiva desktop (with W98) acts erratically, stalls, and displays a message that the “system is busy.” As my mouse is then dead my only recourse is to power off and then back on. On rebooting everything is fine.

Just what is it that causes the system to go “busy?” Is it inadequate memory? Is there something I should be doing to prevent the condition?

Thanks for an education.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Too many factors really, and also the fact Windows 98 and other versions of Windows around that time were capable of multi-tasking but you only needed one program to fail and it would quite often take the entire system down with it.

wdc202

wdc202

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 259 posts
That mini explanation is all I needed.

As the problem is relatively rare and easily fixed I won't worry about it. Thank you.