Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Video Mess up?

• Please log in to reply

[L]ancelot

[L]ancelot

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
Ok I have a Vaio comp with onboard video. I recenently put in a radeon and then a week after i biult a new comp and stuck my radeon in the new one. Was I supposed to change anything on my vaio b4 i took the video card out? Or can i just plug the monitor back in the onboard slot? Its not working now when i plug it on the onboard. I have tried putting the radeon back in but the monitor is just blank...;) I have tried several monitors but cant get the vaio to go back to onboard! What should i do help! :tazz:

Advertisements

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
installing the new card should overide the onboard video. did you install the drivers for the new card after installing the card itself?
to get back to where you started, you should just have to remove the card from the PC, reconnect to the onboard, and boot.
get back to that point, and once you are OK there, then we can get the new card working.
please provide info on your PC, I know its a sony vaio, but would like a model #. also, what is the new video card you got- radeon, but is it by ATI or a partner, and model #.

[L]ancelot

[L]ancelot

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
The video card was the ATI radeon 9550 256 mb. I did just take the video card out and plug the monitor into the onboard.The Vaio i bought in like 02 i think.....im not too sure. It has Service Pack 1 on it. I just ran the normal install procedure after i installed the video card. Thats really all i know now. If you need any other info LMK and i can look it up for u

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
ok, so are you back to being able to get video with the onboard only, no card installed?

[L]ancelot

[L]ancelot

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
NO i cannot get any video with the onboard or if i put the ATI video card back in. No VIDEO wutsoever.. IDK wut to do? Now sometimes when i turn my comp oon . My computer BEEPS every 2 seconds . The steady Beep lasts for like 2 seconds

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
OK, i think you will need to reset the CMOS and get back to square one, but I have asked for a second opinion. stand by for that...

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
It sounds like you need to reset the bios.
This should be possible through a jumper on the motherboard. Can you tell me the exact model of Vaio you have so I can direct you to the right location for the jumper?

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
thanx samm. so what Im thinking here is, reset the bios, get the original video back up and running. have him correct the bios for his machine, make sure agp is ready.
then power down, install the new card, power up with video connected to new card which should work now, and install drivers. sound right to you?

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Sounds about right to me!

Just been having a quick look on Sony's website but they are not very forthcoming with motherboard diagrams & they only advice they give for clearing the bios is by booting up into the bios & selecting the reset option. This is really useful when you have no display on screen!

If I can't find any accurate info when I have the model number, I suggest he just has a look on the motheboard for the jumper as they are normally easy to locate, or failing that, removes the battery.

[L]ancelot

[L]ancelot

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
THX guys for all the help But i noticed one of the ram sticks was in wrong. My cousin must have messed with it after we took thevideo card out. So i put it in the right way and now it works. Thanx tho

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
that would do it! glad to hear its working.