Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP pro sp3 way slow startup

• Please log in to reply

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
No vacuum cleaner hose..This could cause even more damage. A can of compressed air is usually all you will need to clean out the inside of the system. Make sure to pay close attention to the fans in the system. Post #4 is what i was pointing you toward what 123Runner was talking about.

Advertisements

damddrew

damddrew

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
too late! vacuum cleaner it was! but i was careful, using qtips on the delecates ... removed the fan on top of the heat sink, throughly cleaning ... took each accessory out of the mobo to get to all the nooks an' cranny's. that was b4 i dun the chkdsk...

damddrew

damddrew

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
ok inreview,
i have removed all but one registry editor's,
done a chkdsk/f
ran autoruns
defrag'd with auslogics
used ATF-Cleaner
did i miss anything? are their any other recommendations?

anyhelp? thx

damddrew

damddrew

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
hello again ppl!
since the last help, puter will boot up like twice as fast as before ... and i thank each of u 'geeks' for helpin out!!!!!

however, it is still slow on the boot .... this time is different than before ...
this computer will attempt to boot normally however, when it gets to the desktop background screen, it hangs up .... takes a few minutes, then the bg will dim(get darker) and within 10-15 seconds of the screen dimming- all icons will then show up ... only 2 or 3 of the icons w/ show the file icon, insted of the appropriate ones, but then after about 30 more seconds, those icons will change to the correct ones. (that part isn't really a prob{just adding symptoms})

i dont understand what would cause the hang up ... however, once everything is loaded, i run slow pc fighter, and it still finds over a hundred empty registry keys, less than before, but still quite a few.
any help? thx .... drew :)

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

i run slow pc fighter, and it still finds over a hundred empty registry keys, less than before, but still quite a few.

Registry cleaners and miracle cleaning programs are what is causing your problem. A registry cleaner will not increase your system's speed or performance, and has the potential to break your registry to the point that your PC is no longer bootable.
We strongly advise that people stay away from any of the registry cleaners out there.
Go HERE to get more information about why registry cleaners aren't needed.

Thanks to Sari for the explanation

You have probably caused damage to the registry and everytime you run the program it finds more to erase which makes the system work even harder to run. Eventually it will cease to start at all.

damddrew

damddrew

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
ok, i hear u loud and clear, AGAIN. lol i had gotten rid of all those extra editors, and just kept that one around, because there are still many of entry's to get rid of ...
but i will uninstall anyways .... wish me luck folks!

(the puter has always ran better once the spf cleaned it, thats the reason i kept one around)
lets see if this works .... will post again afterwards, thx 4 the help
drew

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Anything that program can do we can do and not mess with the registry to do it.