Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CMOS battery

• Please log in to reply

Axelion

Axelion

• PipPipPip
  • 179 posts
Okay...I'm not an expert in CMOS battery....Recently I was going to swap my hard drive to my old one because I'm going to send back the current one(referring to other thread). When I unplugged everything then plugged all the cable again, my motherboard won't start up. The CMOS battery makes a sound bip.....bip.....bip every 2-3 seconds. I thought.....wait a minute...this happened before long ago when I removed everything inside the case and clean the dust...so I just pressed the CMOS battery hard with massage motion...so I did that then I started the computer up again. Luckily, the motherboard runs =)
So my question is...what's the problem?? Could it be the battery was actually moved inside its cage?
Do I have to put out and back in the battery into its cage?? Well I don't know how to do that but maybe youtube will help me.

Advertisements

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
I do not know if you are actually talking about the CMOS battery because it is about the size of a quarter and is held in to its socket with a little clip.
Also I don't believe you need the battery to actually run. It holds the settings for startup while power is off. If you pull the battery, you will get default settings.

Are you sure you aren't talking about the CPU?

EDIT: Added link
http://wiki.answers....the_cmos_needed

Edited by 123Runner, 10 December 2009 - 03:27 PM.

Axelion

Axelion

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 179 posts
Yes, I'm talking about CMOS battery that is about the size of a quarter and held into its socket(though I'm not sure what clip), I see something like a clip on the side.

When I turn on my pc, the motherboard has power but it won't boot into the bios. The monitor is dark and bip sound came from somewhere. Then I checked closely by opening the case and tilt it to the side. I noticed that the sound is near my video card and pci card. Then I thought...is it the video card?? I traced the sound again by letting my head into the case...then I concluded that the sound came from CMOS battery.
I tried the same method before by pushing the card into its socket(more like push massaging it) then I started up the pc again and it works! Triple bips from CMOS battery then it stopped.

I don't think it's my cpu because it's located away from the sound itself.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Batteries don't beep. It's impossible. It's more likely your board has a speaker that just happens to sit next to the battery, which isn't uncommon if truth be told.
What sort of beeps are you getting? Three beeps? Eight beeps? Two short and one long?